Timber Framers Guild

Edge Plastic Guards?

Posted By: Windknot

Edge Plastic Guards? - 11/08/12 09:59 PM

I am looking for some plastic edge guards, does anyone know of a place online I can order a couple dozen?

Here is a photo of what I am wanting. (Does not have to be exact)

Posted By: D L Bahler

Re: Edge Plastic Guards? - 11/08/12 11:22 PM

cardboard works
Posted By: Dave Shepard

Re: Edge Plastic Guards? - 11/09/12 12:12 AM

I make mine from 3"x4" blocking with a 2"x3" ripped out of it on the table saw leaving a 1" thick L. If needed I relieve the inside corner with a gouge.
Posted By: Roger W Nair

Re: Edge Plastic Guards? - 11/09/12 01:11 AM

Industrial supply houses with material handling materials such as McMaster-Carr or Fastenal should have something that fits the bill.

Re: Edge Plastic Guards? - 11/09/12 02:21 AM

We have used cardboard and I just don't like it at all. It does an okay job but with rough sawn materials, it mars the finish / stain with the pressure of the straps.

Re: Edge Plastic Guards? - 11/09/12 02:28 AM

Found some, thanks everyone!
Posted By: Hylandwoodcraft

Re: Edge Plastic Guards? - 11/10/12 02:15 AM

Just wondering...where did you find them? Thanks

Re: Edge Plastic Guards? - 11/11/12 07:10 PM

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Flatbed-Trailer-Products/Corner-Protectors/Corner-Protector-Blue
Posted By: daiku

Re: Edge Plastic Guards? - 12/14/12 04:28 PM

Here's an entirely different solution. We call them "softies". All they are is a short (6') endless sling made from 4" webbing. Use them in a basket configuration, as shown, and you spread out the load over 8" so it doesn't dig into the timber. And they don't slip and fall out like edge protectors do. They also pull from the center, so they don't try to twist the timbers as you tighten the straps.

Re: Edge Plastic Guards? - 12/18/12 04:08 AM

Are you talking about these:
http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Lifting-Slings/1-ply

Also, we tend to work with a lot of rough sawn western cedar and straps seem to really dig into the material. We are trying to avoid that at all costs.
Posted By: daiku

Re: Edge Plastic Guards? - 12/18/12 07:08 PM

Well, we had ours custom made. The white material is a little softer than the yellow, according to our supplier, but I can't tell you why. But 4" x 6' endless is the right spec. I don't think we paid $44 though. More like $20 IIRC. We have about 2 dozen, and once in a while, wish we had more.

Another nice thing about this arrangement is that the ratchet strap can slide through the end of the softie like a pulley, but the softie does not slide around the timber, so you don't get a "rope burn" on the timber.

Re: Edge Plastic Guards? - 12/19/12 12:34 AM

Clark, who is your supplier if you dont mind me asking? I would like the "softer" nylon if I can get it.
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums