Timber Framers Guild

Wedge half dovetail through tenon tie beam post

Posted By: NeilGouallo

Wedge half dovetail through tenon tie beam post - 08/24/13 02:45 PM

anyone know why we should wedge from the inside or the outside???

i have seen both exemples, i can't keep thinking about it, why would I prefer one to the other?!

I'm going to cut the wedge angle tomorrow on my 6 post, I would be interested to hear about your comments. I'm planning to wedge from the outside...
Posted By: denton4th

Re: Wedge half dovetail through tenon tie beam post - 08/24/13 03:15 PM

I have seen them done both ways as far as well. I think it is done from the outside so that the wedge can not be pulled out. As it pulls the wedge gets tighter. I think it is done from the inside so that you can tighten the wedge after shrinkage. I have also seen it as just a straight 3x2 block (dovetail with a 2" clip and the mortise 1" bigger than it needs to be for assembly) This makes it a little easier to cut, the block still prevents the dovetail from sliding out. I prefer to do it from the outside with a large through wedge that you can pull from the inside if there is any significant shrinkage. In a tie situation gravity will do a lot keep that dovetail where it needs to be.
Posted By: NeilGouallo

Re: Wedge half dovetail through tenon tie beam post - 09/01/13 07:32 PM

Yes i have been thinking about that shrinking issue as well, interesting to read your answer denton 4th. I chose the outside solution now and I'm going to use pretty big wedges, so I'll have a way to pull them in if necessary as you mentioned, I didn't think about it before but it looks like the size of my wedges will allow it. but hopefully it will just be tight enough wink
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums