Timber Framers Guild

timber frame without tenon and mortise?

Posted By: kimouette

timber frame without tenon and mortise? - 07/09/15 01:34 AM

Hi,
I am planning the joints for my timber frame and i was wondering if i could skip the use of tenon and mortise. I would make the housings and screw all the joints. My only concern is about the hold of the screws when the wood twists. Has anyone tried this method for a whole house frame?
Posted By: TIMBEAL

Re: timber frame without tenon and mortise? - 07/10/15 12:15 PM

What species of wood? You could incorporate some simple half laps and housings along with GRK screws, this would aid in some relief of the possibility of twisting. Species will also have an input, some twist more than others.

You could also use smaller sticks and cover it all up with drywall.
Posted By: Roger Nair

Re: timber frame without tenon and mortise? - 07/10/15 08:13 PM

Kimouette, try to envision how a pegged mortise and tenon joint holds the timbers in position and transfers force, in multiple directions, while the timbers are seasoning ie shrinking, twisting and checking. Then envision timbers essentially butted and toed by screws, with the screws set in a fixed position as entry and exit points, what will happen as the drying timbers fastener contact points change position? Will there be riving and compression failure at the contact points? Also screws are a poor substitute for bolts and bolts are accompanied with washers, plates and gussets.
Posted By: Housewright

Re: timber frame without tenon and mortise? - 07/19/15 01:34 AM

Hi kimouettte;

If you live in an area where you need to follow a building code, what you describe probably would not pass inspection. I wouldn't recommend it. There are some manufacturers who produce metal joints for timbers but they cost more than cutting a mortise and tenon.

Jim
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums