Timber Framers Guild

Makita Mortising machine

Posted By: Thane O'Dell

Makita Mortising machine - 08/19/15 09:56 AM

Does or has anyone used this tool for mortising. I was thinking of buying one to help improve my process. Cutting mortises is the slowest part of the process and would like to take some time out of it. Any input would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks
Thane
Posted By: Jim Rogers

Re: Makita Mortising machine - 08/19/15 01:40 PM

Are you talking about a Makita chain mortiser?

I have used one and it works for me.

Jim Rogers

Re: Makita Mortising machine - 08/19/15 02:10 PM

Yes. The chain mortiser.
Thanks Jim

Re: Makita Mortising machine - 08/19/15 05:05 PM

Ok, so what do you want to know?

What method are you currently using?

Jim Rogers

PS. have you seen my YouTube video showing tips and trick on using it?

Re: Makita Mortising machine - 08/19/15 05:59 PM

Hi Jim.
My typical mortise is 2 x 8 by 5" deep. Currently I am using a fostner bit and drilling 4 holes, use a framing chisel on the sides and a corner chisel on the ends.
I am looking to speed up my mortise making process and was wondering if the Makita chain mortiser would do this for me.
As well as improve quality.

Re: Makita Mortising machine - 08/20/15 01:39 AM

Here is a link to my youtube video.

https://youtu.be/U0dfPdIQJv4

Re: Makita Mortising machine - 08/20/15 04:44 PM

Thanks Jim
I'll watch the video tonight when I get home tonight.
Posted By: brad_bb

Re: Makita Mortising machine - 09/08/15 08:08 PM

There is nothing wrong with a Makita mortiser. It's kind of a get what you pay for scenario I think. If you have little money and more time, use a manual boring machine like a millers falls or Boss double eagle, $300-$800. There are pluses and minuses - slower speed, but very accurate, portable, no noise, no electric cord needed. The Makita costs about $1500, requires electricity, Throws a lot of sawdust so you need eye protection and hearing protection. The next step up is something like the Mafell mortiser which is often preferred by more production shops. It's faster, more accurate, and has the chain 90 degrees to what the makita does. It lets you cut the width of the mortise in one shot as opposed to the length in segments of the Makita. It's faster than the Makita at about $5000. So just make your choice. There are trade offs for each. IT just depends on what you are after.
Posted By: TIMBEAL

Re: Makita Mortising machine - 09/08/15 11:24 PM

Nice options there, Brad. Just before I put the drill on this stand I seriously considered a Mafell mortiser. Then the fund thing settled in and I put together this 1/2"x1/8" angle iron frame and mounted my drill to it in an attempt to keep up with the rest of the industry. It seems ok, and I get to continue with a traditional form of cleaning out mortises.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17h_be9zjNo

Re: Makita Mortising machine - 09/09/15 04:17 PM

Ok. I bought the Makita chain mortiser.I is pretty much what I expected. After playing with it and setting up a system for cutting a 2 x 8 mortise, I decided to buy the 21mm chain. ($400 later) to reduce the side steps from 4 to 3 cuts. Now after 12 plunges down i have an accurate 2 x 8 mortise with nasty points on the bottom. I think if I got a pair of ferring clippers, I could nip them off nicely.
Posted By: TIMBEAL

Re: Makita Mortising machine - 09/09/15 05:35 PM

Cut the mortice a little deeper.

Re: Makita Mortising machine - 09/10/15 01:48 AM

Learn to sweep the bottom of the mortise with the chain.

Jim Rogers
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums