Timber Framers Guild

unique old barn

Posted By: Anonymous

unique old barn - 12/19/05 01:26 AM

I have an old barn that was built by millionare Carles Ward.The board feet of lumber is staggering.I would like to find it a good home or at least salvage the beautiful lumber.I believe its all ceder and oak.Its one of a kind.Where should I start? Help!!...jw
Posted By: Emmett Greenleaf

Re: unique old barn - 01/03/06 08:19 PM

I would start by finding a qualified framer in your area who can survey the structure, take pictures, make some sketches, create an approximate bill of material and suggest the best use of the wood which can be saved. Age, condition, weather exposure (at present), any mandatory timeline for the deconstruction will have a bearing on how to proceed. You may need a crane, a big crew and lotsa hot coffee. All TBD.
Good luck.
Posted By: Tom Cundiff

Re: unique old barn - 01/03/06 09:27 PM

JW,
Karl Kervin is located in Illinois, not to far south of you. His website is www.barnstormerswood.com
Tom
Posted By: Randy Churchill

Re: unique old barn - 01/06/06 09:29 PM

Rick Collins at Trillium Dell Timberworks in Knoxville, Illinois would also be interested.
His phone is 309 - 221 - 8020.
His email is rick@trilliumdell.com
Someone needs to put their eyes on your barn, helps an awful lot if you can put some fuel in their truck and a few bucks for the multi-hours they will spend just to look at it.
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums