Timber Framers Guild

W Red Cedar Allergy

Posted By: Joe Wood

W Red Cedar Allergy - 09/15/17 11:20 PM

Folks, wr cedar is a known allergen and that's what I primarily work with in my shop, and we make a lot of dust!

I'm wondering, would allergy shots help with this? Or would anyone know where I could go to get more Info about treatments??
Posted By: Windknot

Re: W Red Cedar Allergy - 09/20/17 12:56 AM

Joe, what are your symptoms? We work with a ton of WRC and have never had any allergy-related problems. I am curious though.

Re: W Red Cedar Allergy - 09/22/17 01:15 AM

Oh I don't have any symptoms, yet, just trying to stave it off if and when I develop it! I've heard it can hit even after working with it for years, just trying to be cautious, I work a lot of cedar and want to continue working it!
Posted By: Windknot

Re: W Red Cedar Allergy - 09/22/17 02:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
Oh I don't have any symptoms, yet, just trying to stave it off if and when I develop it! I've heard it can hit even after working with it for years, just trying to be cautious, I work a lot of cedar and want to continue working it!

I have been working with it daily for 10+ years and have not developed anything yet. (Cross my fingers) I think you may have worked it for longer. We are trying to control dust as much as possible nowadays more than we did 10 years ago.

Re: W Red Cedar Allergy - 09/22/17 01:21 PM

What do you build out of the wr cedar Windknot?
Posted By: Cecile en Don Wa

Re: W Red Cedar Allergy - 09/22/17 09:53 PM

Western Red Cedar planted over in Germany for the purpose of harvesting some 80 years ago is just now coming to market. It produces a very different wood in those growing conditions, harder, less brittle, lighter in color, much broader growth rings and a less stringent odor though it still has the smell. I really like working it.
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums