Timber Framers Guild

Back to basics

Posted By: Davit

Back to basics - 07/09/20 08:29 PM

Hello all

I just joined this forum and I hope to re nurture my old craft, Joinery. I was an apprentice joiner when I was 13, many moons ago, and learned the craft the old fashioned way in Ireland. But I took on other apprenticeships trades (bricklaying, plumbing, electric/onic, drafting, plastering, welding ....) over my early years, so I became one of those guys on a building site that could tackle/assigned any job, including engineering specs. I ended up as a part-time builder and renovator, involved in many projects. But left the building trade in 2006 just before the housing crash in UK/Ireland, as I was also business consultant/trader.

Now, I wish to get back to my early crafts but this time in Ghana. I founded, The Assin Foundation, and one of my aims is to build a Heritage Park, with all wooden framed buildings and structures. To be able to teach the locals some crafts and also learn from them. However, I am considering building a Heritage Village for Busman's holiday resort.

Anyway, this plan is still in the early days and I have a lot to learn, relearn and I hope to attract some interest and help on my/our project(s) progress. My first task is to rebuild/repair our Heritage Centre's rotten roof.
Posted By: timberwrestler

Re: Back to basics - 07/17/20 02:12 AM

Davit,

This sounds great. I was in Ghana years ago, and had a great time. The TFG has done some international projects. It sounds like what you're trying to pull off could potentially be a good fit. Good luck and keep us in the loop!

Brad
Posted By: Davit

Re: Back to basics - 07/20/20 12:42 PM

Thanks Brad,

I've just been in contact with a Japanese Carpenter/trainer so I hope to convince him to join in on a few workshops and a Guest Master teacher.

Because at our Heritage Park, we have an impressive bamboo forest (tall), I like to construct a few LBL (Laminated Bamboo Lumber) from other cut stockpiles all from all over Ghana. I have not seen any LBLs but I like to give it a go in making some LBLs for our Bridge over the River Pra project or an Entrance Gate.

D
Posted By: northern hewer

Re: Back to basics - 08/31/20 01:23 AM

Hi David

Sounds like a great project, one inwould like to be involved with
I do have some good reasearch material on hewing, adzing, and broadaxe handle carving, if I can help from afar please feel free to ask

I have worked extensively in historic trades, historic millwrights is one of my specialties especially water powered Muley sawmill (1865). Vintage, water powered grist mills, woollen mills

I have lectured on 2 occasions to the timber framers guild on different historic subjects that encompass life in the 1860's

Anyway good luck

The northern hewer
Richard casselman
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums