Timber Framers Guild

In-line wall systems

Posted By: Griffon

In-line wall systems - 03/21/07 08:46 AM

Stimulated by all this talk of bracing, would it not be beneficial for wall systems to be placed between the posts (as in EH's German examples)? OK, these examples are of masonry infill, but I have visited the website of one US company which partially laps their wall systems by maybe 2"; has anyone experience of this type of design?

The first problem apparent I see is incompatibility with square rule design, and probably SIPs too confused Then there are other complications, but for one company at least, it holds advantages.
Posted By: E.H.Carpentry

Re: In-line wall systems - 03/21/07 09:22 PM

Griffon,

I would never design a frame so that I can apply a certain layout design. Design your frame and then figure out how to lay it out. Traditional is not always the best way.

As far as SIPS go. They would not be used for interior walls anyway.

If for a minute you forget about the traditional english frame and think about what it is that you are trying to build than you come up with a number of ways to achieve a very stable stand alone frame. If you try to apply this to the english frame you will consequently run into the same issue over and over again.
Posted By: mo

Re: In-line wall systems - 03/27/07 05:41 AM

I am confused as to how you connect a brick infill wall with the timbers. Do you dado the timbers? What type of mortar do you use? Somebody.
Posted By: E.H.Carpentry

Re: In-line wall systems - 03/27/07 11:27 AM

Mo,

check out this discussion. I mentioned it there somewere.
http://www.tfguild.org/ubbcgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000821
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums