Timber Framers Guild

CNC for scribed log work?

Posted By: daiku

CNC for scribed log work? - 06/05/09 12:58 PM

You have to see it to believe it. This guy was at the International Log Builders Conference last month (I was there teaching Sketchup to the roundies). He feeds each log through a scanner, that maps the entire surface of the log in 3D. Then, using your cad system, you stack these log objects created by scanning, and get the whole building looking the way you want. Then you feed the logs into the machine, and it cuts the scribe channel! He showed a video at the conference, but I don't see it posted on his web site. CB.

Ballmer Systems
Posted By: OurBarns1

Re: CNC for scribed log work? - 06/05/09 02:10 PM

I guess it had to get invented sooner or later. Kind of the ultimate shortcut.

Must also "scribe" marriage/sequence marks on the logs. Yuck.
Posted By: bmike

Re: CNC for scribed log work? - 06/06/09 01:04 AM

Would love to see video...!

Don, why do you read the automation section?

Posted By: Ken Hume

Re: CNC for scribed log work? - 06/06/09 06:53 AM

Hi Don,

The same reason that I read it !

Regards

Ken Hume
Posted By: TIMBEAL

Re: CNC for scribed log work? - 06/06/09 10:17 AM

It can be controversial at times, I read all of them. It is interesting. The system Clark describes is totally out of my grasp, economically and physically, that doesn't mean I don't want to know about it. Don......?

Tim

Re: CNC for scribed log work? - 06/06/09 01:59 PM

Originally Posted By: bmike

Don, why do you read the automation section?

Adding to what Tim has said,

I'm actually interested in all aspects of the trade. It's good to stay abreast of the world. Kind of like politics. Even though I'm a Democrat, I still tune in to what the Republicans are saying. It helps to be informed.

Though I'm obviously a traditionalist in regards to TF, I'm not a "fundamentalist." I will not condemn others for the paths they take. I just know what appeals to me...

Hand tools are part of the meditation of woodworking. It tends to be the path that all the "masters" eventually take. In my view, automation is for production and tends to "cheapen the craft."

But we all have our views, don't we? They're all valid. They can all stand.

Posted By: cedar

Re: CNC for scribed log work? - 06/06/09 02:30 PM

It is no surprize to me that the CNC has caught up to log building. The technology will put people out of work again. For doing kits and large projects which require mutiple indentical pieces the CNC will save time, cash, and labour. All of these things are good for the customer and company. But breakdowns,
maintainence and computer glitches are the negatives involved for the company and clients too. The company needs good programmers, operators and a high costing maintainence program with a technical firm. The set-up, installion and warehousing costs requires deep pockets. Plus time to perfect a new system install and training of the staff too. More cash and some clients are lost. So as always the marketing hype does not show reality. I love both new gadgets and the old ways too.

Re: CNC for scribed log work? - 06/08/09 01:08 AM

Originally Posted By: cedar
It is no surprize to me that the CNC has caught up to log building. The technology will put people out of work again. For doing kits and large projects which require mutiple indentical pieces the CNC will save time, cash, and labour.

most production log homes are already 'milled' logs of various profiles. the process clark is describing is quite different - and very intriguing to see how they pull it off.

commenting on only the process described (i'd love to see more details) seems that the goal is to begin the automation of full scribed log work - the logs mentioned are somehow scanned (photography? laser?) and computer modeled. the designer stacks and sorts these in a CAD program and the machine then cuts the various pieces to fit.

very very different from production milled logs, where all logs are milled to specific sizes and profiles cut - basically like T&G for log building. the process you describe is more like the milled log home kit - and no CNC is needed (although I'm sure they are used)

Re: CNC for scribed log work? - 06/08/09 02:09 PM

Hi Mike:

More as to why I read this automated section, I mostly read and replied to this particular post b/c of the title, which was of course interesting. I do not read all the automated posts.

I'll typically steer clear of replying in this section. You guys don't need my two cents. I can respect that.
Posted By: daiku

Re: CNC for scribed log work? - 06/08/09 05:00 PM

commenting on only the process described (i'd love to see more details) seems that the goal is to begin the automation of full scribed log work - the logs mentioned are somehow scanned (photography? laser?)

Laser

Re: CNC for scribed log work? - 06/08/09 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By: daiku
commenting on only the process described (i'd love to see more details) seems that the goal is to begin the automation of full scribed log work - the logs mentioned are somehow scanned (photography? laser?)

Laser

pretty cool.
new energy works used a handheld laser scanner while helping to recreate an organ from lithuania at the eastman school of music. they scanned each religious sculpture on the original. the plan was to rough them out on a cnc machine and each piece was to be finished and detailed by hand... though i do not know at what state the carving is at.

Posted By: cedar

Re: CNC for scribed log work? - 06/10/09 05:13 PM

Mike-Thanks for your correction of my mistake. But I still wonder why the traditionalists do not like those who love new technology in Timber Framing? I do not go their section and make desparaging comments about them and their side of things. I like both sides of the Craft. Maybe it is time to sit on the side again.
Cedar.
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums