Timber Framers Guild

worth buying?

Posted By: longbeard

worth buying? - 02/20/02 02:42 PM

I have found a source for recycled rough sawn ,d.f. 10X12 timbers in 40 foot lengths. I do not as of now have a specific design but wish to build a small timber frame home/cabin. Maybe 24X40? I have indoor storage available. Would these timbers be a good resource to have stashed for future project? I don't want to buy,store and then not be able to use. Opinions? Also the seller is asking $1 per b.f. Is that reasonable? Thanks for any input.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: worth buying? - 02/21/02 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by longbeard:
I have found a source for recycled rough sawn ,d.f. 10X12 timbers in 40 foot lengths. I do not as of now have a specific design but wish to build a small timber frame home/cabin. Maybe 24X40? I have indoor storage available. Would these timbers be a good resource to have stashed for future project? I don't want to buy,store and then
not be able to use. Opinions? Also the seller is asking $1 per b.f. Is that reasonable? Thanks for any input.

Are you planning on cutting this eventual small home/cabin 24x40 frame, or paying someone to do it? Most timberframers don't want to screw with recyled/dry timbers, in my experience.

I think the price is ok, depending on quality of the timbers. What species by the way? I think the fact they are 40 footers makes them more attractive, those lengths would be hard(?) to get these days from a mill, I would think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I recently purchased a bunch of 150 year old beech timbers I'm planning on using for a small tool shed frame, from Jack Sobon's book. I've worked with the timbers a bit on some waste pieces, and it is definitely more chisel work being so hard/dry.

Good luck,

Greg
Posted By: longbeard

Re: worth buying? - 02/21/02 04:48 PM

Greg E, thanks for your response. The timbers are fir but I don't know if it is douglas or hemlock or what. I do intend to work the timbers myself. The seller said he had sixty footers that were sold already. Is it unusual to find big timbers 10x12 that are so long?
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums