Timber Framers Guild

Poplar design values

Posted By: Anonymous

Poplar design values - 04/12/00 12:35 AM

I am building a mixed species timber frame home. One of the species is yellow (tulip) poplar, but my copy of the NDS does not have design values for yellow poplar timbers 5 X 5 and larger. Can someone tell me the design values (bending Fb, shear parallel to grain Fb, compression perpendicular to grain Fc, compression parallel to grain Fc, and modulus of elasticity E) for #1 yellow poplar posts and timbers?
Posted By: Grigg Mullen

Re: Poplar design values - 04/13/00 01:21 PM

I would use the strength values for eastern white pine for yellow poplar larger than 5x5. The densities and strengths are similar.
Also, the values for timbers 5x5 or larger seem to be slightly higher than comparable 2" to 4" limber. The lumber values for poplar could be safely used for larger timbers. But, I would pay particular attention to the value for Fv (shear strength).
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Poplar design values - 04/22/00 02:24 PM

Thank you for your response. I have the design values for Eastern White Pine and Poplar 2X stock. I like the Poplar values better because they are stronger, but I will use the Pine values in my figures to insure my beams and posts are strong enough.

[This message has been edited by BretK (edited 04-22-2000).]
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums