Timber Framers Guild

Old barn conversion to Commercial use!

Posted By: Anonymous

Old barn conversion to Commercial use! - 01/05/02 04:42 PM

Hello, I plan on converting our old barn (circa 1900) into a cottage winery. Though it needs quit a bit of work, the old beams are actually older (taken from another older barn) and rebuilt in its present location with 1900 year old siding and floor joists. The barn as started to lean from the wind loads from the west side. and the foundation has started to fall apart in one corner. but most of the columns and beams are in great shape. I need to find out if the barn can be saved just by correcting the problems or if we have to dismantle it to get it up to code. The roof needs to be replaces as soon as possible. so i need to know if its worth fixing now before the rest of the work or wait since it might have to be dismantled and streghtened. I'm in southern ontario, close to the New York border, is there a contact in this area that i can reach, who knows about barn structures? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Peter
Posted By: Rudy R Christian

Re: Old barn conversion to Commercial use! - 01/08/02 12:42 AM

Peter,

Your in luck! The TTRAG Conference is scheduled to be in your backyard in April. Check out the Guild website for upcoming conferences and you will find registration information for the historical conference scheduled for April 12-14 in Morrisburg, Ontario. I would recommend taking pictures of your barn and bringing them.

If that's not soon enough, a number of folks do barn survey work in your area who could tell you what you need to know. You can find a list in the online Resource Guide or email me and i can forward more contacts.

Sounds like a fun project!

Rudy
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums