Timber Framers Guild

Bigger Saws from Mafell

Posted By: Bill Keir

Bigger Saws from Mafell - 11/29/01 05:25 PM

I have been talking to both the British, and American Mafell importers / distributors.

We have been discussing asking Mafell to consider manufacturing a saw with a 210mm cut.

By general consensus it seems we are agreed that saws such as the The MKS 185 cuts at a odd depth and not deep enough to convience most people it's a better choice than the MKS 165.

Generally, no matter which side of the Atlantic we operate, it seems that we more often need to cut
4," 6", or 8" Not 5 1/2" or 7 1/2"

It may be that if enough people ask for a saw that will cut 8" the makers will produce one.

with this in mind I would invite comments and expressions of interest / support that we can forward to the tool manufacturers

[This message has been edited by Bill Keir (edited 11-29-2001).]
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Bigger Saws from Mafell - 11/29/01 11:52 PM

I got an attachment for a worm drive skill saw, it's a small chain saw bar. It cuts to 11 1/2" and can be adjusted to cut a full 12". Granted that it's a chain saw cut, but I've used it to cut off timbers and rough out tenons and forks on ends of timbers. It works for me, but again it's not a 'finish' tool, but you have to use a chisel anyhow. The skill saw cost me $150 and the bar about $130, and I can remove the bar and have a nice saw, again. That's my story. Jim
Posted By: Rick Lewis

Re: Bigger Saws from Mafell - 12/28/01 06:00 PM

I can't begin to imagine the ludicrous price tag such a beast would have!!! especially if mafell make it.
Posted By: Rick Lewis

Re: Bigger Saws from Mafell - 01/11/02 05:53 PM

What about the Mafell Carpenters chainsaw? I'd be interested in your comments on this machine Bill or anyone else who's familiar with it. I admit the bar and chains that are attatched to a circular saw as mentioned above do seem an attractive idea but i have heard that they are a little coarse. Any comments on that anyone?? We considered the Mafell but had a few reservations, perhaps we were wrong though, how come you aren't considering it here though??
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums