Timber Framers Guild

Makita Saws

Posted By: Dan Fadden

Makita Saws - 04/10/00 12:28 AM

I recently purchased one of the new Makita 16 5/16 inch saws (Makita Japan) and was very disturbed by the "feature" of a trigger lock button (locks saw ON) rather than the safety button that I'm accustomed to on older versions of this saw. Does anyone have any feedback on this? It seems to my that it flies in the face of common sense to have a lock on a saw this size. A replacement switch is available for an additional $35.00 plus S&H (~$6.00). The lock is apparently necessary when the saw is convertd to a table saw with an additional accessory (per the vendor). I'm curious if there have been any accidents attributed to a trigger lock on a saw like this. Thanks.
Posted By: Brian Wormington

Re: Makita Saws - 04/10/00 12:09 PM

Dan:

I agree that the lock seems like a bad idea. But what is the criterion for deciding if it's crazy for any tool to have such a lock? The lock seems to make perfect sense for a 3HP router or an electric drill to allow them to be used in modes other than hand held. To me, the reason it seems so dumb is that these big Makitas are so underpowered to begin with that they'd make a pretty lousy table saw. --- 16 inch blade with a 13 amp. motor is OK when you are feeding the saw into the work, but not vise versa.
Posted By: milton

Re: Makita Saws - 04/16/00 09:51 PM

Hi Dan (and Brian) Just back in town from the west and a bit slow on the old keyboard but it does seem foolish, even like a mistake. Perhaps the vendor will give you a free switch, labor and free lifetime upgrades. Can't hurt to dream. If there has not been an accident yet there likely would be with the only real way to make compound cuts comfortably involving the blade guard and a piece of string, or so I hear.
I'll drop a line to my Makita guy now.
Curtis
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Makita Saws - 04/21/00 01:40 PM

Hi, Dan et. al.,

I don't have experience with accidents due to Makita's lock-on switch (although I agree it's a bed idea,) but I can caution you about another potentailly hazardous situation you can get into: because those saws have fairly flimsy lower blade guards that tend to stick, it is very tempting, if not unavoidable, to hold the guard up when starting a cut. If and when you do that, be aware that you have up to 6 1/8" of spinning sawblade dangerously close to the dangling cord. It is very easy to cut the cord. Running it over your right elbow helps keep it out of the way. By the way, in my opinion the Makita 13" saw is a much better tool in all aspects except depth of cut.
Posted By: milton

Re: Makita Saws - 04/21/00 03:38 PM

Howdy all,
I too like the mighty 13. The darn guard thing. Be careful out there. Curtis
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums