Timber Framers Guild

Preserving an old barn

Posted By: Anonymous

Preserving an old barn - 07/18/01 03:50 PM

I have not posted before, perhaps someone can help me out. I recently relocated a single family home onto a 1.57 acre lot that my family has owned since 1972. On the front of this lot sets a barn that has been estimated to have been built as early as the late 1800s -- early 1900s. Due to local zoning rules, variances that had previously been grandfathered in to protect the barn are no longer extended. We have applied for a special use permit in order to save this barn. If we don't receive the permit the barn must come down. It is in great shape! Can you give some advise on how to convince the Will County Board why preservation of historic buildings (like the barn) should be considered? Thanks!
Posted By: milton

Re: Preserving an old barn - 07/18/01 09:29 PM

Hi Don:
I will respond with a forward to the most honorable Mr. Christian. He can be found in another section of this BB and should be able to offer some valuable suggestions. His voice will be heard by the proper authorities.
That is Will County, IL?

Good luck,
Curtis
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Preserving an old barn - 07/18/01 09:54 PM

Yes, it is Will County in Illinois...Thank You!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by milton:
Hi Don:
I will respond with a forward to the most honorable Mr. Christian. He can be found in another section of this BB and should be able to offer some valuable suggestions. His voice will be heard by the proper authorities.
That is Will County, IL?

Good luck,
Curtis
Posted By: Scott McClure

Re: Preserving an old barn - 07/20/01 05:18 PM

Hi Don, Contact Rick Collins of Trillium Dell Timberworks, via e-mail: oldblue@grics.net. He recently restored the Clow Barn in Will COunty and should know who you should talk to. Good luck.
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums