Timber Framers Guild

buying a hand plane

Posted By: Ben D'Orival

buying a hand plane - 05/10/04 07:56 AM

i'm looking to buy japanese hand planes and are curious as to what size and type are the best to buy.
Also who makes the best planes, i'm looking to spend a few hundred dollars.
Posted By: Bruce Chrustie

Re: buying a hand plane - 05/10/04 03:03 PM

Fist question is what are you looking to plane? Why the desire for a Japanese plane?

I bought myself a Lie Neilsen 10 1/4 and love it. If I could find myself an original Stanley I would take it, assuming I had wads of $$ to spend.

Then again a L-N 4 1/2 would be nice as well, but more for my cabinetry.
Posted By: Ben D'Orival

Re: buying a hand plane - 05/11/04 12:47 PM

I'll be planing large timber posts and beams and as for choosing a japanese plane over a western style hand plane, it's because the method of using the tool seems easier as well as the look and history behind the tool interests me.
Posted By: Timberbee

Re: buying a hand plane - 05/15/04 06:56 PM

I've been using Japanese Planes for about a dozen years now, maybe a bit more. I purchased my planes from the Japan Woodworker out of california -- they have a web presence.

The planes I typically use are two smoothing planes and a right hand rabbit plane. While I do believe that the Stanely series of Rabbit planes is much "better" at planing shoulders, I long ago gave away my Stanelys and have stuck with my Japanese Rabbit plane.

As far as the smoothing planes go, I rounded one considerably -- making it into a ver nice scrub plane. The Irons NEVER chatter, no matter how proud they are, and, after the first couple of years, no longer chip excessively. I have no complaints with my planes, though, I need to say that I am not as plane dependent as many (I generaly use them more for truing and planing boards and surfaces than for joinery work).

I love wooden planes, and heavy irons.
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums