Timber Framers Guild

sale of a good quality broadaxe with a hand made handle

Posted By: northern hewer

sale of a good quality broadaxe with a hand made handle - 12/15/06 02:36 AM

this is a family broadaxe of good quality steel and a good quality right handled offset handle.

I am accepting bids like a silent auction, please forward to my Email address.

I have a reserve bid and please only serious people please bid. I am now looking at 3 months for this process to continue, and the successful person will be notified at that time.

I reserve the right to withdraw the item for lack of interest
Posted By: Raphael D. Swift

Re: sale of a good quality broadaxe with a hand made handle - 12/15/06 02:57 AM

I'm interested enough to ask the weight, size and shape.
Posted By: Timber Goddess

Re: sale of a good quality broadaxe with a hand made handle - 12/15/06 05:00 AM

Do you have a photo and a starting bid?

Re: sale of a good quality broadaxe with a hand made handle - 12/17/06 02:49 AM

Here is some statistics on this broadaxe:

the manufacturer is B Sharp (I am not familiar with this brand name but it sounds English in nature).

The cutting edge is 9" in width, and the axe is 9" in height from the cutting edge to the top of the poll.

There is no pitting on the tool steel inset which is 1"+ in width yet.

The axe rings out well if struck with a metal object, meaning that the tempering is good.

The axe is hung right handed, and the handle is of white oak with a 3" offset, also it is 27.5" long.

The axe hangs nicely if suspended by the handle loosely, and should work well under use.

I will be posting pictures eventually as I figure the proceedure out (again).

NH
Posted By: Raphael D. Swift

Re: sale of a good quality broadaxe with a hand made handle - 12/19/06 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by northern hewer:
I will be posting pictures eventually as I figure the proceedure out (again).
I just recently posted instructions on how to do that in response to a question in "Axe Throwing". In this thread:
http://www.tfguild.org/ubbcgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=47;t=000022

Re: sale of a good quality broadaxe with a hand made handle - 01/07/07 08:52 PM

Now that the Holidays are over and time has slowed down alittle, I can return to serious chat about the sale of this family heirloom.
If you are interested just give me an Email, and I will post a return email with attached views of the front and reverse sides as well as the hand made handle. The reverse side shows the tool steel inset clearly.

NH

Re: sale of a good quality broadaxe with a hand made handle - 01/22/07 01:44 AM

Re: sale of a good quality broadaxe with a hand made handle - 01/22/07 02:02 AM

Here are two different views of the broadaxe

NH

Re: sale of a good quality broadaxe with a hand made handle - 01/24/07 01:35 AM

As far as I know my Grandfather Michael who worked in the off seasons in the logging camps, used this hewing axe to put together some of the log frame structures that housed the men who boarded there for the winter season.

He also was a timberframer locally and hewed out and put up many of the 3 bay barns located in this area in the late 1800's. He also built one of the earliest one room log first generation school houses which has long since disappeared.

The amazing thing was that he could not read or write, but was evidently an excellent hewer, timberframer, he farmed, he also excelled at matches where the local men tested their strength against one another, walking away unmatched by any of the contenders, it was noted that he could lift and turn around a full length railway rail and sit it down singlehanded, these rails weighed in excess of 2000 lbs!!.

It appears that he took good care of his axes, and for the books he could chop either right or left handed, and always used a double bitted chopping axe for felling and butting logs.

NH
Posted By: Gabel

Re: sale of a good quality broadaxe with a hand made handle - 01/24/07 01:27 PM

NH,

Thanks for sharing. Do you know any more stories of your Grandfather?

Gabel

Re: sale of a good quality broadaxe with a hand made handle - 01/25/07 01:05 AM

hi Gabel:

Thanks for the interest,it does me good to sit here and think of tales related to me by my father, especially those that pertain to the logging and just plain bush work, as well as I suspect a few tall tales, of which there were many.
One that I remember about working in the bush was that he really loved his horses, and had one that was trained to snake out logs by himself. One man usually my Granfather would stay in the bush and prepare a log while the horse after being chained to one would deliver it to the skidway. One man there would unhook and send him back for another. My dad said that my Granfather could easily chop down and limb up a a new one by the time he arrived back at his site.
This would go on all day--no chain saws--just axes, and cross cut saws.

I hope you enjoy

NH

Re: sale of a good quality broadaxe with a hand made handle - 02/04/07 02:04 AM

Hi all: especially
Ralphael Swift

I finally was able to take time to weigh the broadaxe together with its handle, it weighs exactly 8 pounds.
This is the first time that I ever weighed one of our family broadaxes. I hewed timber for a period of approximately 30 years not really knowing what the broadaxe that I used weighed. My own personal axe is 1" wider on the cutting edge, it is 10", it weighed in at 7.5 pounds with its handle also.
I hope this information is what you are looking for

NH

Re: sale of a good quality broadaxe with a hand made handle - 03/15/07 12:39 AM

Please note that if anyone is interested in any further information concerning this family heirloom broadaxe please send me an Email.

Also please note that The bidding process is extended until the end of May, and then will end.

Thanks to all that have responded.

NH
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums