Timber Framers Guild

Cutting a tight radius on the end of beams

Posted By: cbryan

Cutting a tight radius on the end of beams - 01/02/07 12:56 PM

I am trying to find the best way to cut a radius (8" +/-) on the end of a 6"x12"x16' beam? Using a router and template guide seams to be the best idea. Although, I cannot get all the way through, even if I use the template on bothsides. A portable bandsaw would be great, but they are pretty expensive. Any ideas...
Posted By: Tom Cundiff

Re: Cutting a tight radius on the end of beams - 01/02/07 04:34 PM

This is a jig that I made for rounding a boss pin. The plywood guide pivots and the router moves side to side. The length of the pivoting arms minus the router bit determines the radius. You don't specify if the radius you need to make is concave or convex, but you should be able to adapt the jig either way. Tom
Posted By: Timber Goddess

Re: Cutting a tight radius on the end of beams - 01/03/07 02:31 AM

Hey, cbryan -
Is it possible for you to rent/borrow a portable band saw from anyone near you?

Tom - that's cool! smile
Posted By: daiku

Re: Cutting a tight radius on the end of beams - 01/03/07 02:24 PM

Another low-tech way to do it would be to use your beam saw, and just approximate the curve with s series of straight cuts. Start by cutting off the two corners at 45 deg. Then cut off the resulting 4 corners. Continue until it's cloe enough to "round off" with slick. Or I suppose you could use a belt sander.

Nice jig, Tom. Anybody else getting tractor envy?
Posted By: Tom Cundiff

Re: Cutting a tight radius on the end of beams - 01/03/07 03:41 PM

I was working at another shop at the time so the tractor is not mine, it didn't have any brakes, was held together with bailing wire and leaked oil like the Exon Valdez.
Posted By: cbryan

Re: Cutting a tight radius on the end of beams - 01/03/07 10:10 PM

This was my first try with this forum. Wow, I am really surprised by the return!

I agree... Very nice jig, Tom. It will be an 8" concave radius at the end of the beam. I might be able to use the jig idea on it also? If all else fails, I just received my 2" template cutting straight bit. I can template both sides and chisel out the middle?

Again, I appreciate all the great advice. I will definately be back.

Chris
Posted By: Timber Goddess

Re: Cutting a tight radius on the end of beams - 01/04/07 04:25 AM

I could run it through the Hundegger for ya..... :rolleyes:

:<watches popularity rating go down>:
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums