Timber Framers Guild

Broad Axe Handle?

Posted By: VTCabin

Broad Axe Handle? - 05/08/08 08:18 AM

Hello all TFG members -

I bought an old broad axe head from an antique store and it needs "a good piece of hickory". Anyone know where I can buy a handle for it. I'm looking for a curved one. And, no thank you, I do not wish to wittle or attempt to make one at this point. For 15-20 bucks I will buy one!!!

Bob form CT
Posted By: TIMBEAL

Re: Broad Axe Handle? - 05/08/08 08:37 AM

VTcabin, Making a custom handle for your own ax is more than likely not whittling. You would be very fortunate to find some one to make one for that price and fit well. To make your handle, and it doesn't have to be hickory, should be one of the first steps toward construction of your cabin. If you are interested "we" could urge you on in making your own. Tim

Re: Broad Axe Handle? - 05/08/08 08:10 PM

Okay - I should have known better than to look for the easy way out on a forum of do-it-yourselfers!!! smile So, where do I start, I have a table saw...

Re: Broad Axe Handle? - 05/09/08 09:15 AM

There must be some previous post on this. But I would start with a ax to rough out the shape and with a clamping device such as a shaving horse use a drawknife, spokeshave, and rasp to shape the handle. This can be shortened some by using a upright band saw to get the shape. VT, have you checked out Northern Hewers videos? They may be helpful. Tim
Posted By: northern hewer

Re: Broad Axe Handle? - 05/12/08 11:49 PM

Hi VT

Timbeal made reference to the video that I retail that is a must for anyone that considers undertaking the task to make one that will be safe.

It will need to be fashioned either right or left handed, and being that it is offset 3", it will have to stand up to the continuous pounding and twisting generated during the hewing process.

If you are interested send me an Email

NH
Posted By: toivo

Re: Broad Axe Handle? - 05/19/08 05:01 PM

that's a really fun job and a pleasant way to spend an afternoon. it would really help to have a model to go by. usually this is the old axe handle from the same head.

here's my process:

working from a clear log (i use black ash because that's what we have) a bit longer than your desired handle

split it in half, starting with an axe driven by a sledge, then a maul in the crack opened up

then you get to see the grain

quarter the halves

maybe one of the quarters has a nice curve to the grain that can be incorporated into the handle- pick that one

split the quarter to a 2" board

even it out with a sharp axe

lay out the axe handle shape on the board

rough it out with the axe

smooth it with a drawknife

take it from square to octagonal with the drawknife

then round it out nice with a spokeshave

maybe a rasp for the knob if you like it round, or just saw across the swell at the end of the handle. both look nice imho

spokeshave the other end of the handle to fit in the eye of the axe

saw a cut in the end of the handle for a wedge

bang the head onto the handle using the weight of the head

put a hardwood wedge in as far as it will go

put a metal wedge in diagonalwise

oil the handle

start a fire with the trimmings

i think a split handle that follows the grain is far preferable to a cut one- stronger. the handles on most store-bought axes, even decent brands like an oxehead, are pretty poor. this sounds like lamenting the good old days- and i wasn't even there!

Re: Broad Axe Handle? - 06/01/08 08:59 AM

Toivo -

Thanks great response, how long should the finished handle be?
What diameter log do you start with?
Do I need to boil the end to get the curve in it, or do I cut the handle with the curve in it if does not have a natural one?

Thanks for your help!!

Bob

Re: Broad Axe Handle? - 06/01/08 11:46 AM

Toivo's response is great, follow it and you will have a great afternoon. I use a rasp for finishing/shaping the top of the handle where it inserts into the eye of the axe. You shouldn't have to steam the wood, use the natural curve selected out of the stock you rived out. I would say 6-8 inches for the size of log, you want to stay away from the pith. Length of handles very with the user but safe to say around 18" give or take a few. Putting lines on the handle is a good start. Use a pattern or make one up to follow the curves stock you have. I find myself using my fingers and a pencil as a jig of sorts to chase lines which I follow and work to, centers and edges taking off the corners, something to follow, it keeps me from removing too much wood in the wrong spots. This doesn't have to be rocket science, every handle is a different character. I would like to hear other methods. Tim
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums