Timber Framers Guild

Pictures of tool boxes?

Posted By: Gabel

Pictures of tool boxes? - 10/21/08 03:54 PM

Would anyone care to share some pictures of a toolbox they like for TF hand tools? I need to build one and I can't decide on a design.

thanks,

Posted By: Joel McCarty

Re: Pictures of tool boxes? - 10/21/08 04:08 PM

And if we get some good submissions, I'll work to turn it into an article for Timber Framing.

Posted By: daiku

Re: Pictures of tool boxes? - 10/21/08 05:31 PM

Here's mine:

Each "upright" that holds the 1" rope handle slides in a mortise in the end wall, and is driven down with 2 wedges to clamp the rope. Through wedged dovetails joint ends to sides. Bottom is rabetted into ends and sides. White Oak, White Pine and White Cedar.
Posted By: Colton Allen

Re: Pictures of tool boxes? - 10/22/08 02:23 AM

These aren't mine but I used this site to get ideas for the toolbox I am building. Lots of pics of different boxes and there is also a link for Making a Toolbox that has lots of pics.
http://daikudojo.org/Classes/toolboxes/

Colton
Posted By: Timber Meisters

Re: Pictures of tool boxes? - 10/23/08 01:59 AM

I actually have two preferences in toolboxes. This one I prefer for longhaul/over-the-road. This is a large box that can accommodate all the handtools you would ever need for timber framing and then some.

The other is my tool tote which I use regularly in the framing yard. Normally what I do is pick out only the essential tools I need out of my big box and put them in my tote. This makes it very easy to maneuver around the timbers carrying only the tools you need.

Posted By: OurBarns1

Re: Pictures of tool boxes? - 10/23/08 05:11 PM

GREAT TOPIC...

Here's one I built 6 years ago....

It's ash and walnut. The handle tenons are drawbored smile
The corners have dovetail splines.

I made a special compartment for my Lie-Nielsen No.1, These planes were discussed here in an earlier thread. The No. 1 is really nice to use.

Not a "Timber Framers" box, but I thought it was relevant given the draw bored handle detail and the Lie-Nielsen.

It's been great to see the boxes of others... hope to see some more!!

Timber Miester: How old is that first box, the traveling box?

Posted By: TIMBEAL

Re: Pictures of tool boxes? - 10/24/08 01:27 AM

I am hoping for more photos/ideas, so far so good. I need a second box. This one weighs about 70 pounds, and I have to dig for stuff. I like the second box theory, I may construct a second one this winter during a cold spell. I would use this one as my light box to move from piece to piece. The only things missing for a complete set up is the framing square, missing in the saw box, and boring machine. My next box will function similar to a wheel barrow, just grab hold and off you go the the next town/neighbor. This box is not fancy, it is just held together with drywall screws. The wood is cedar and the handle is a broom stick, 3/4" it should be 1" for this weight. I was going to show an exploded view but didn't have the time. I would like to see more tools as well. I am also trying to eliminate guards, the draw knife is a good example. Just grab it and your ready to go. Tim
[img]http://[IMG]http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q393/timber500/100_2166.jpg[/img][/img]

Re: Pictures of tool boxes? - 10/25/08 03:15 PM

As far as ideas for boxes, some may be aware of "The Toolbox Book" by Jim Tolpin. Amazon has some good prices on it right now. I got it for a Christmas gift about 10 years ago... it's great eye candy; a great book.

http://www.amazon.com/Toolbox-Book-Craftsmans-Cabinets-Storage/dp/1561582727

Re: Pictures of tool boxes? - 10/25/08 03:36 PM

And as Tim hinted at, the book has a whole chapter on "wheeled site boxes," plus some neat double-duty ideas.

A pair of boxes (like Tim's box) is built w/ heavy pipe handles. The book has a picture of the boxes used as "staging": a plank is laid over the pipe handles. (p. 129)
Posted By: collarandhames

Re: Pictures of tool boxes? - 10/28/08 02:23 AM

I've got three neat toolboxes, that I'd love to post, but they aren't timberframe specific. They ARE often used on timberframes however. Any objections?

Re: Pictures of tool boxes? - 10/28/08 11:16 AM

absolutely no objections -- feel free to post any and all toolboxes you would like to share.
Posted By: MMaier

Re: Pictures of tool boxes? - 11/12/08 01:11 AM

A guy I work with developed this layout box based on the Borneman square and we have made a couple different models. We find it holds almost all your most often used tools pretty well.

Another version, a bit bigger-

Posted By: Tom Cundiff

Re: Pictures of tool boxes? - 11/18/08 05:03 PM

Good Thread Gable!

The two wooden toolboxes that I used for a long time on the road have now been replaced with canvas tool bags from the surplus store. The nice little chisel holding slots enabled the chisels to chop right through the bottom of the box just from riding around in the back of the truck. I still use them around the shop at home but the canvas tool bags are better for me to pack around.
Posted By: Jim Rogers

Re: Pictures of tool boxes? - 11/25/08 12:42 PM

Years ago, I tried to sell some tool boxes at the local hardware store. I sold some but not many. I used the left overs for my own tool boxes. I have one with all my layout tools in it, and one with a good lot of hand tools.

The basic design is like this:

And can be about any width and length you need.

Here is a shot of mine with some tools in it:

I have a slot on the side for my framing square, and several slots for standing up my chisels, corner chisel, and combination square.
Posted By: collarandhames

Re: Pictures of tool boxes? - 11/27/08 03:26 AM

There's a good question. How do you keep chisels from rattling around and finding their way threw the bottom of a tool box?

Re: Pictures of tool boxes? - 11/29/08 12:50 AM

Mine is not old enough to wear a hole through the bottom of a 3/4" board......
Posted By: Tom Cundiff

Re: Pictures of tool boxes? - 11/30/08 11:49 PM

Originally Posted By: collarandhames
There's a good question. How do you keep chisels from rattling around and finding their way threw the bottom of a tool box?

I repaired my chisel slots by gluing small blocks of wood in the bottom, and then lined the slot with a folded scrap of leather. The chisel wedges into the leather and is held firm.
Posted By: TIMBEAL

Re: Pictures of tool boxes? - 12/31/08 07:38 PM

Wooden Boat Mag. has a nice tool box write up in it, plans and all. A handle that folds out of the way and doubles as the fixture which holds the draws in while transporting. If someone has more web skill than I, it wouldn't take much, they maybe able to link some info on it. Or go get the publication. It is a variation of what we have posted on this thread.

Tim

Re: Pictures of tool boxes? - 02/06/09 02:29 AM

Originally Posted By: collarandhames
I've got three neat toolboxes, that I'd love to post, but they aren't timberframe specific. They ARE often used on timberframes however. Any objections?

So...

ya gonna post the pix or not? whistle
Posted By: Whit Holder

Re: Pictures of tool boxes? - 02/06/09 08:01 PM

Posted By: mo

Re: Pictures of tool boxes? - 02/06/09 11:09 PM

that is a craftsman's toolbox!
Posted By: Bruce Chrustie

Re: Pictures of tool boxes? - 02/12/09 07:10 PM

WH,

What are the dimensions of that cool looking box!?

Posted By: Whit Holder

Re: Pictures of tool boxes? - 02/18/09 04:07 PM

That toolbox belongs to Grigg Mullen. I should have said that in the original post. I photographed it at the Guild Rendezvous in Maryland last summer.

I didn't write the dimensions, but I'm sure Grigg would email them if you contact him.
Posted By: Dave Shepard

Re: Pictures of tool boxes? - 04/12/09 03:09 AM

This is the toolbox I put together the night before the timber framing workshop. It has a tray on top for layout tools and small tidbits. The bottom is divided into two sides, saws, and sharps.

The tray

A second toolbox for planes, t-augers and mallets. I didn't have a long enough piece of dowel for the handle, so I fashioned an old axe handle to fit.

Re: Pictures of tool boxes? - 04/12/09 01:27 PM

Nice job....

Re: Pictures of tool boxes? - 04/12/09 01:43 PM

Thanks. I hope to one day replace the sheetrock screws with hand forged nails. smile
Posted By: brad_bb

Re: Pictures of tool boxes? - 04/13/09 02:54 PM

Inspired by this thread, here is a pic of a box I just build as a gift for my mom for Easter. I put the green easter grass in it, colored eggs, candy and a chocolate bunny. It's a garden toolbox for her to carry her many hand pruners, potting shovels, and planting knives. It's made entirely of white oak that planed to several different thicknesses(to keep weight down), but it's not completely finished yet. I plan to add Black walnut wedges to pin the handle in place, and some black walnut plugs in the handle support brackets for looks. I will also use a small sanding drum on the top edges of the box and the vertical supports of the box sides to make a scalloped look. I'll stain the scallops dark before finishing the box in linseed oil. Thanks for the inspriation guys! Keep 'em coming.
[img]http://www.forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/16191/Garden_toolbox2.jpg [/img]
Posted By: brad_bb

Re: Pictures of tool boxes? - 04/13/09 02:56 PM

Not sure why pic didn't show up in first post.

Re: Pictures of tool boxes? - 04/13/09 11:20 PM

Cool!

Re: Pictures of tool boxes? - 04/14/09 02:55 PM

Thanks for the update Brad. Looks like a real practical design. Walnut would look great w/ that white oak.

As far as those dovetail splines you asked me about on my box, check this jig out (pretty much how I did it):

http://www.getwoodworking.com/news/article.asp?a=822

© 2024 Timber Frame Forums