Timber Framers Guild

Plumb bobs for French scribe

Posted By: Dave Shepard

Plumb bobs for French scribe - 06/17/09 01:25 AM

I'm looking for some photos or other information about the plumb bobs used in French scribe. I think most people cast their own out of wire and lead. I want to make one for the workshop in August. Thanks.
Posted By: bmike

Re: Plumb bobs for French scribe - 06/17/09 01:54 AM

I'll have to dig mine out... and get some photos.
I have 2 - a lovely one made by a guild member and sent to me as a trade - and another, heavier one that I made with pewter cast into a wood mold that I turned. Instead of wire I used a 3 pronged fish hook... seems to have worked well enough...

Posted By: brad_bb

Re: Plumb bobs for French scribe - 06/17/09 02:53 AM

I also saw the instructor at my last TF workshop use one of these to demonstrate scribe technique. I have been searching the web with no luck finding this type of plumb bob or "plummet" as it is in French.
Posted By: mo

Re: Plumb bobs for French scribe - 06/17/09 03:14 AM

here is a picture of one. i can post a better one when I get my toolbox out of my friends truck. Don't ever leave your tools! They are ok, but I don't feel right without them.

As you can see it is a circle that can be referenced looking straight down upon a full scale lay-out on the floor (the french way). It would plumb out right above the floor lay-out. In this situation it is just acting as a weight on the end of a line. The little wooden piece that holds it is handy as well. Don't have to hold it that way when scribing.

Re: Plumb bobs for French scribe - 06/17/09 10:11 PM

Is that a young Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry checking out that plumb bob? laugh

Thanks for the replies.
Posted By: Tom Cundiff

Re: Plumb bobs for French scribe - 06/18/09 01:16 AM

Make your own.
Posted By: mo

Re: Plumb bobs for French scribe - 06/18/09 06:48 PM

Hey Dave,

I find haircuts at the end of the list of things to do that cost money.

Re: Plumb bobs for French scribe - 06/19/09 01:34 AM

I get mine cut about twice a year, whether it needs it or not. smile
Posted By: Tom Cundiff

Re: Plumb bobs for French scribe - 06/19/09 01:46 PM

I haven't had a hair cut in 18 years and it still doesn't need it. I could get one for free from my Father-in-law who owns a barber shop.
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums