Timber Framers Guild

Wood Owl bit question.....

Posted By: Jim Rogers

Wood Owl bit question..... - 05/17/10 02:51 PM

A fellow timber framer from Ohio has emailed me and asked me a question about Wood Owl bits.
I don't have a lot of experience with these bits, so I thought I'd ask it here on the forum and see if any of you can give me some advice to pass on to him?

Quote:
Jim,

Just bought a Bosch drill for peg holes. Am thinking about buying some Wood Owl bits.

I have read that the Wood Owl bits drill nice clean holes, but was wondering if they really eliminate the need for a "blowout block" on the exit path. (I'm looking to save a step in the process by not having to rotate timbers and drill from opposite side).

As you are always in contact with many timber framers, was wondering what you may have heard regarding a clean exit hole from the wood owl bits. Thanks
Posted By: Dave Shepard

Re: Wood Owl bit question..... - 05/17/10 10:46 PM

I was working with someone yesterday using a Wood owl bit for peg holes. We used a blowout block on the back side.

Re: Wood Owl bit question..... - 05/17/10 10:49 PM

Thanks Dave, I'll pass it on....
Posted By: brad_bb

Re: Wood Owl bit question..... - 05/18/10 05:10 AM

Jim, I'm surprised you don't advise him to use a bit 'n brace - slower so it's more controllable, or a boring machine - keeps bit square to timber for sure! He better have an aux handle on that drill. If not, it's twist out of his hands, wrap the cord, whack his wrist. Convert him to old school!
Posted By: daiku

Re: Wood Owl bit question..... - 05/18/10 01:36 PM

See this thread.
Posted By: Dave Shepard

Re: Wood Owl bit question..... - 05/18/10 09:10 PM

My friend was using a Timberwolf drill stand, worked very well.

I use a B&B myself.

Re: Wood Owl bit question..... - 05/18/10 09:33 PM

Well I forwarded the thread location link to this thread to my timber framing friend in OH and he said "thanks to all" who posted for all the information....

And I thank you as well....
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums