Timber Framers Guild

Usablility of ZSX 400 Chain Beam Saw

Posted By: PaStoneman

Usablility of ZSX 400 Chain Beam Saw - 07/26/10 02:47 PM

I am looking to upgrade my tool inventory and was looking at a chain beam saw for cutting arches and possibly tenons. I would love to hear any feed back on the various applications of this tool and its advantages and disadvantages.
Posted By: KBLanier

Re: Usablility of ZSX 400 Chain Beam Saw - 07/27/10 01:52 PM

Denny Hambruch loaned one to the guild for the John C Campbell blacksmith project. That saw is the bomb. I know that they are a little expensive but they are worth every dime. They have an exceptionally uniform cut. With the fence guide system you can make long rips with the accuracy of larger band saw mill. Plenty of power but if you run it off a hundred mile extension cord the thermal breaker will cut the saw off before you cause any damage. With a shorter cord it was not a problem. Give Denny a call at Mafell and I'm sure he would love to talk to you about the tool. He's a great guy.

Re: Usablility of ZSX 400 Chain Beam Saw - 07/28/10 03:15 AM

Thanks for the incite. I will give Denny a call. I was also looking for some feedback from actual users like yourself.
Thanks for the info.
Posted By: Raphael D. Swift

Re: Usablility of ZSX 400 Chain Beam Saw - 07/28/10 04:54 AM

I'm not surprised w/ the accuracy but I'm wondering how smooth and fast it cuts. Was that loaner a 120 or 230 volt model?

I cut one timber with a prazi then relegated it to SIPs.
Posted By: Joel McCarty

Re: Usablility of ZSX 400 Chain Beam Saw - 07/28/10 01:47 PM

It's an awesome tool (with a correspondingly awesome price).

220v on the one I test drove at Bensonwood this Spring.

This tool is an real upper body workout.

It will be able to handle most if not all compound cuts, in addition to your regular right angle stuff. I think it can be considered a substitute or replacement for a large diameter circular saw.....

Cuts are very smooth on quality material, and as quick as any electric saw you've ever used.

Re: Usablility of ZSX 400 Chain Beam Saw - 08/02/10 03:31 AM

Can one run a line as easily as a large saw?
Posted By: KBLanier

Re: Usablility of ZSX 400 Chain Beam Saw - 08/04/10 03:29 PM

the "loaner" was a 230v monster. It cuts a little slower than a skill saw. It cuts a rough sawn face much like a bandsaw finish. If it on the roof side no problem it it is seen then a lick with a plane or sander to finish it up.
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums