Timber Framers Guild

lehman chisel

Posted By: yooperdirt

lehman chisel - 03/25/11 11:59 AM

Anyone use this kind?

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Tools_Farm_...s___20F47?Args=
Posted By: daiku

Re: lehman chisel - 03/25/11 06:54 PM

I don't think those are unique to Lehman. This looks like the same thing at woodcraft: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2000243/220/Chisel-112.aspx

Note that niether site tells you the brand name. I bought one of these from woodcraft 15 years ago as an ignorant ameteur, and it was junk - would not hold an edge. The one you want is also on the woodcraft site: Barr Framing Chisel

But you can get a better price at their own web site: Barr Framing Chisel

In my shop, we use laminated antiques. Look for a post on this forum by Jom Rogers.
Posted By: bmike

Re: lehman chisel - 03/25/11 07:33 PM

I think the Lehman and Woodcraft are off label Sorby's. Not a bad chisel, but the Barr is far superior IMHO. But I'm biased and have 2 Barr chisels and his framing slick.
Posted By: D L Bahler

Re: lehman chisel - 03/25/11 09:42 PM

I am in the same boat as Daiku, I use old antique laminated steel, couldn't be happier with the one's i've got!

But I'm wondering, who is this Jom Rogers fella anyway?
Posted By: Dave Shepard

Re: lehman chisel - 03/25/11 11:57 PM

Those chisels with the diamond label on them are the Damic (sp) brand, which I believe is part of the Henry Taylor company. I have one, and I am not impressed with the quality, or the finish. The craftsmanship of the Barr is excellent, but they are not shaped like a traditional American framing chisel. I use antiques myself. I've bought five antiques from Jim Rogers.
Posted By: Jim Rogers

Re: lehman chisel - 03/26/11 12:07 PM

Originally Posted By: D L Bahler
I am in the same boat as Daiku, I use old antique laminated steel, couldn't be happier with the one's i've got!

But I'm wondering, who is this Jom Rogers fella anyway?

Well, I'm sure that the edit function wasn't working when he noticed that he spelled my name wrong....

JIM Rogers
Posted By: yooperdirt

Re: lehman chisel - 03/28/11 12:54 PM

Ok!

I got my eye on an old 1.5 inch laminated one (Ohio)...but it has beveled sides. Does that matter?

Thanks
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums