Timber Framers Guild

Chisel Mortiser

Posted By: treizea

Chisel Mortiser - 10/22/11 12:45 PM

Hello,

I am trying to buy a chisel mortising machine,but I am not sure what is the best model. Looks like the Makita 7305L can handle larger timber, but its hard to find out. I would like to hear from people who are using a chisel mortising machine.
Posted By: Roger Nair

Re: Chisel Mortiser - 10/22/11 05:52 PM

I have that model, unfortunately Makita in the US no longer supports and authorizes dealers for new sales nor distributes parts. So any new machines are strictly grey market goods. Aside from the caution, it is a very fine machine, well designed, versatile, safe and highly accurate. Not as quick as chain mortisers. It works best in soft woods but will handle green oak, however it is not suitable for dry oak and denser hardwoods.
Posted By: treizea

Re: Chisel Mortiser - 10/23/11 06:05 AM

Thank you Roger. What is the maximum size of timber you can use? I saw the three models, 7305, 7305H and 7305 L. L seems to handle the largest timbers. I am in Japan and trying to buy it used on online auction. I took a timber framing course this summer, and I am now building a miniature tool shed to practice what I learned.
Posted By: Roger Nair

Re: Chisel Mortiser - 10/24/11 03:49 PM

I just confirmed the model number on my machine, it is 7305H. It will clamp on to timber up to 12 1/8 inches.
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums