Timber Framers Guild

Timber Bandsaw for decorative work

Posted By: Hylandwoodcraft

Timber Bandsaw for decorative work - 01/15/12 07:28 PM

I have a job getting started that requires a lot of heavily curved timbers and other decorative work. I'm looking at buying one of the portable bandsaws made for the purpose. Is it just me, or are these tools wildly overpriced?! Does anyone have any ideas on an alternative to these? I really don't want to spend 5 grand on a Hema or Mafell. I could buy the Oliver, but I just know I'm want to cut something in a 10" timber in two years and end up buying an expensive one anyway. I know! I'll spend $2000 on a top of the line stationary bandsaw, and I'll get 6 guys to help hold up the 18' 8x10s. "No! No! to the right!!To the RIGHT!!!" It'll be great! But seriously, how do these stack up comparatively?
Posted By: Jim Rogers

Re: Timber Bandsaw for decorative work - 01/16/12 11:29 PM

Another way to cut the curves on the end of the timber is to put the bandsaw on a set of casters so you can move the saw and let the timber sit still. You'll need a very smooth floor to do it.
But it can be done.
I think I saw a picture of someone doing it once.

Good luck on your research.

Jim Rogers
Posted By: D L Bahler

Re: Timber Bandsaw for decorative work - 01/17/12 12:47 AM

Jim,
this system can also be modified to run along patterns on the floor in order to accurately cut repeats. But setup would be an interesting challenge.
Posted By: timberwrestler

Re: Timber Bandsaw for decorative work - 01/17/12 01:46 AM

Broad axe, adze, and spokeshave.

And use curved trees.

Like all Mafell tools, the bandsaw is nice though, real nice.

Re: Timber Bandsaw for decorative work - 01/31/12 12:50 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I'll be trying the stationary bandsaw on rollers route. I'll let you know how it works out in a couple of weeks!

Re: Timber Bandsaw for decorative work - 01/31/12 02:33 AM

Plan your cuts and make a lot of relief cuts first. That way you can't get bound up so easy.

Take lots of pictures of your setup.....

Re: Timber Bandsaw for decorative work - 01/31/12 02:34 AM

wow that forum clock is way off.....it's 9:29 pm where I am....
Posted By: heavydraft

Re: Timber Bandsaw for decorative work - 01/31/12 05:33 AM

For basic heavy curves a chainsaw can do a lot, with a bolted on guide to keep it square to one face.
Posted By: logman

Re: Timber Bandsaw for decorative work - 02/10/12 01:34 AM

I do know of an Oliver (O&M)for sale locally -$650, not sure how that price is as I've not been interested in one?
Posted By: Michael Cummings

Re: Timber Bandsaw for decorative work - 02/11/12 01:40 PM

There is an older Mafell Z3 bandsaw on Ebay right now --

Re: Timber Bandsaw for decorative work - 02/29/12 07:08 PM

I picked up the Oliver bandsaw that Logman pointed out. That'll do for now. Sorry to disappoint everyone. I guess I won't have any crazy stationary bandsaw wizardry to document. Thanks a lot for the input though.
Posted By: gadoug

Re: Timber Bandsaw for decorative work - 04/12/12 05:08 PM

I have an Oliver for sale. It's got very little use(two Projects) asking $1200. I used it to cut some 8x doug fir archs and it did the job. I can send pics if interested.
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums