Timber Framers Guild

Millers Falls Boring Machine

Posted By: D L Bahler

Millers Falls Boring Machine - 04/15/13 08:58 PM

I recently purchased this boring machine at a consignment sale. It was very dirty and in need of some cleaning and a few new parts -it is missing one handle and the depth stop, and in need of a new base.

I am fixing this up, and intend to resell it when I am done.

The machine is in good working order. All parts are functional and the operation is clean and smooth. I took it completely apart and cleaned the grease and fouling out of all of the parts and gave it a good lubrication, so that the return gear will effortlessly lock into place once more.

Once I have it fully assembled and all replacement parts added, I'll upload a video. This is a very fine machine, and has easily another 100 years or more of life left in it. Built like a tank.

The machine itself obviously has a story to it. One of the pins is missing and was replaced a long time ago with a wire nail bent around the shaft, and one of the slotted screws was replaced with a hex bolt. I may replace these with more authentic parts, but as they don't in any way detract from its functionality I have considered leaving them as is, in order to pay tribute to the obviously interesting life this machine has had.

Here are a few pictures, before and after the initial cleaning of all of the parts.

In addition to this restoration, I am considering making urethane castings of all of the parts with the intention of making reproductions of this machine, assuming there are no current patents, etc protecting the design (which I am sure there are not) Of course, I would remove the Millers Falls logo and replace it with my own indicating that these would, in fact, be reproductions and not original MF machines.
Posted By: TIMBEAL

Re: Millers Falls Boring Machine - 04/16/13 12:11 AM

Hi DL, I have nails in some of my machines, shear pins and easy to replace in house. They work very well, usually only problem is in knots.
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums