Timber Framers Guild

Hema power tools

Posted By: wfcs

Hema power tools - 06/07/13 10:49 PM

Hi there,
Anyone on your side of the pond come across / own/use any of the German Hema make framing power tools? I've never seen any here in the U.K., but am thinking of upgrading from an old Ryobi morticer to an across-the-grain type. A local tool dealer is offering to import one at a much cheaper price than the normal Mafell machine ( it's the ZKS 15 model). Are they as good as the Mafell?
Any opinions much appreciated before I go to the bank!
William Clement Smith
Posted By: Jay White Cloud

Re: Hema power tools - 06/08/13 12:21 AM

If you are using "edge rule layout" or "mill rule" and are a commercial production framer, you will not be disappointed. Hema, Protool, Mafell, and Festool are all closely related in design and engineering as they have all had, and still share engineering from tooltechnicsystems. Many of the design engineers have worked with each of the companies.

If you use "line rule" and do much in the way of live edge or Asian designs you will find that the "slotting" configuration of more use, and/or the less expensive but very functional Ryobi, Hitachi, and Makita machines.

Hope that helped,

Regards,

jay
Posted By: wfcs

Re: Hema power tools - 06/08/13 06:37 AM

Thanks Jay, that has helped to make up my mind. Maybe I'll be the first framer in the UK. to have one in their yard!
William
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums