Timber Framers Guild

Trying to install Timber Cad

Posted By: tgb

Trying to install Timber Cad - 03/05/05 08:21 PM

I'm trying to install Timber Cad onto my system (Windows XP). I'm downloading it from the Timber Framing Guild's page where it's being offerd for free. I currently have Autodesk Land Desktop 3 and Cad Overlay on my machine. Will this work or do I need to get Auto Cad 2000. I ask because when I try to down load the file, the zip file I receive is named "Tcad1_4_42". The instructions say I should be receiving 2 zip files;"FrameZip" and "ToolBeltZip". I don't recieve either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks, Tom
Posted By: Paul Freeman

Re: Trying to install Timber Cad - 03/15/05 02:40 PM

Oops, I should pay more attention to this bulletin board. I have no idea if TimberCAD will work with the Land version of Acad, I'm not sure if anyone has ever tried it. It works with both Acad 2000 and Architectural Desktop, and if the Land package is simply an enhanced version of 2000 like Arch Desktop is then it should work. The instructions were not rewritten for the guild download, the file you downloaded does contain all the same files, just extract it to the directories stored in the zip file and proceed with the installation. Post your questions here if you still have trouble and if you like email me to let me know you have posted a question since the limited traffic here causes me to be inattentive to the bbs. Thanks. Paul paul@spbrooks.com

Re: Trying to install Timber Cad - 03/19/05 06:40 AM

I installed R14 but it still didn't work. I don't have a C: drive on my computer and I'm working off my F: drive. Does this matter. I go through the steps to load up the file through the command "menuload" but gives me a messsage about not over writing menus or someting and asked me to continue. After continuing I do get a menu called "TCAD" with a pull down call"Timbercad", under this is things like Rafter, Purlins, ect. But when I click on any of these, in the command line it says it dosen't exist. I'm very confused and frustrated, can anybody help. My operating system is XP

Re: Trying to install Timber Cad - 03/19/05 03:53 PM

Another note; I see in the directions that if the C: drive is not your root you have to modify the FRAM.MNL. I can't seem to find this in the zip file I download anywhere. Any thoughts.

thanks, Tom
Posted By: Paul Freeman

Re: Trying to install Timber Cad - 03/25/05 02:35 PM

The loader is in:

Tcad1_4_42K.mnl

This file should be in:
C:\Tcad1_4_42k\Support\

In your case you would find it in:
F:\Tcad1_4_42k\Support\

Edit the code in line 21 by changing the drive letter C: to F: as follows:

(SETQ TCADPATH "F:/TCAD1_4_42K")

In other words, simply change the C to an F

This should start the loader, if not tell us what happened on the forum here and email me to tell me that you have a post that needs an answer. Good luck.

paul@spbrooks.com

Re: Trying to install Timber Cad - 03/27/05 05:50 AM

Paul

Hold off, I think I got it to work, will let you know.
Posted By: Bruce Chrustie

Re: Trying to install Timber Cad - 04/18/05 06:45 PM

Paul,

I have TCAD quasi installed on ACAD2004 on a WIN 2k machine. I have the TimberCAD menu at the top in AutoCAD, can create a Collar, yet when I select things like Profile it tells me it is an unrecognised command. Thoughs?

Just learning AutoCAD as well so once I get it all figured out it should be good!

Bruce,
Posted By: Ed Levin

Re: Trying to install Timber Cad - 04/19/05 04:51 PM

Bruce,

Which commands work and which don't? Can you draw other members (brace, girt, joist, etc.)? Can you add dimensions? Scantlings? Can you extrude from 2D to 3D?

Ed

Re: Trying to install Timber Cad - 04/19/05 05:53 PM

Ed,

From what I can tell Profile and 2D to #d are the only things that do not work. The rest work, or at least prompt me for dimensions etc. I just cant get then to look nice yet.

I have a TimberCAD menu item, not an FDRAW or a FLABL like the manual says.

Would like to see a simple bent drawing made available to load up and play with and learn how it works....either way it looks promising!

Bruce,

Re: Trying to install Timber Cad - 04/28/05 04:57 PM

Well I have found out that even though the Profile command is in the menu, it for some reason is not recognised, but can issue the Pro command at the command line instead for it to work.

Now have 3D working...

But I have to ask to what level of detail do you CAD your drawings to? Shall I create every detail of a tennon etc?

Cool tool BTW!
eek
Posted By: Jim Rogers

Re: Trying to install Timber Cad - 04/29/05 12:56 PM

Bruce the answer lies with who needs the drawing.
If your drawing is to be used by a beginner, it maybe necessary to draw every joint.
If your drawing is to be used by an experienced timber framer who is familiar with joints, you may not have to.
You could just create a "call out" that says what this joint is made up of.
Does this make sense?
Jim Rogers

Re: Trying to install Timber Cad - 05/02/05 01:10 PM

Certainly makes sense....my purpose in formal drawings is for the building permit folks! Not sure exactly what level of detail they will require, and that may include an engineers stamp.
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums