Timber Framers Guild

pulling square

Posted By: mo

pulling square - 03/13/08 10:49 PM

Hi, Need a little help. is there a tool so you can pull square off of any plane in Sketchup? I know I can do some trig and figure it out but I don't have my construction master. smile I am trying to set a rafters plumb face dimension and I just want to pull square off of the roof surface a set dimension.

Thanks.
Posted By: Mark Davidson

Re: pulling square - 03/13/08 10:56 PM

when all else fails, use the line tool(um, and the eraser....).
Posted By: mo

Re: pulling square - 03/13/08 11:58 PM

Thank you for the reply... Guess I worded the question wrong. I was trying to develop my rafter off of a single line representation already pitched and in the plumb plane. Just to see how pieces and planes met up. It seems to want to follow one of the axis.

Posted By: daiku

Re: pulling square - 03/14/08 12:45 PM

Not sure exactly what you're asking, Mo, but to get a line perpendicular to an existing line, you can use the protractor tool to create construction line. Actually, any angle, not just perpendicular. You can even specify a roof pitch by typing "6:12" for example, into the vcb. CB.
Posted By: CarlosCabanas

Re: pulling square - 04/13/08 02:40 PM

Mo

I'm not aware of a tool to do this, but whe you draw it's supposed to tell you when you are square to the line you are drawinf off. (I'm sure you know that!!)

When I'm trying to draw a line, and the computer is sticking to another axis(instead of square to my line), I scroll the view around and zoom in to get it to understand me.

Carlos
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums