Timber Framers Guild

Component size

Posted By: Ray Gibbs

Component size - 08/06/09 08:15 PM

Question for Clark and Mike. I'm trying to include a 3-D model of a boat in my boathouse frame. The boat I picked from the component library is enormous, even though the people sitting in it clearly scale it to fit in the building. How do I scale the boat to fit the frame model? Thanks
Posted By: daiku

Re: Component size - 08/06/09 09:11 PM

Well, you can just use the scale tool to do it by eye. If you need to scale by a specific amount, the tape measure tool can do it. Click on one point of the object, then on another, and then type the dimenision you want that distance to be, and it will ask if you want to scale it like that. CB.
Posted By: bmike

Re: Component size - 08/07/09 02:09 PM

Do you need to be in the component to do this? I think if you just measure the boat with the tape tool it will want to scale the whole model. Edit the component then use the tape measure and type in the new dimension and it should ask you if you want to size only the component... (Can't remember and not in front of the computer)
Posted By: Ray Gibbs

Re: Component size - 08/07/09 02:27 PM

Ya I think you're right. I used the tape and somehow everything shrunk, frame and all.
Posted By: Chuck Gailey

Re: Component size - 10/20/09 05:06 PM

If you use the tape and simply measure a distance and then type in a new dimension, then SU will prompt you whether you want to resize the whole model.

As bmike said, you can double click the component, measure a distance and type in a new dimension, hit return and just the component will be resized.

In your scenario, using the scale tool and sizing by eye is probably the easiest way to go about it. If you hold the option key down while scaling, it will scale about the center, which will keep the component directly above/below its current location. A simple move action, locking the blue axis and you are good to go.

Cheers, Chuck
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums