Timber Framers Guild

Bug in Sketchup 7.1

Posted By: daiku

Bug in Sketchup 7.1 - 10/31/09 05:58 PM

This is a confirmed bug that showed up in SU 7.1, but was not present in 7.0. If you have overlapping components, and are editing one of them, you cannot scribe to the line where they intersect. The inference engine will not find that intersection. I use this trick all the time, so I had to back off to version 7.0. It's really too bad, as 7.1 was a lot faster, and you'll notice the slowdown if you back down to 7.0. They promise to fix it in the next release.

You can get the old version here. Make sure you uninstall 7.1 first. CB.
Posted By: Raphael D. Swift

Re: Bug in Sketchup 7.1 - 11/01/09 08:47 AM

Thanks for the heads up, I'm not using SketchUp yet but am in the process of getting a new workstation (or maybe a 'throw away PC') that can run it. I wish they were a bit more verbose in that help section...

A statement like, "At this time, SketchUp doesn't support operation in a VMWare environment.", could really mean just about anything. I'm guessing it means 'we haven't taken the time to find out how or if it works'.

Re: Bug in Sketchup 7.1 - 11/02/09 01:28 PM

Why VMWare? Why not run it native on the MAC? CB.
Posted By: bmike

Re: Bug in Sketchup 7.1 - 11/02/09 03:02 PM

I think he's running a Linux box, or some non giganto corporation OS.

Re: Bug in Sketchup 7.1 - 11/02/09 06:22 PM

I've heard of folks being successful running SU on WINE on Linux machines.

Re: Bug in Sketchup 7.1 - 11/03/09 12:02 PM

Originally Posted By: daiku
This is a confirmed bug that showed up in SU 7.1, but was not present in 7.0. If you have overlapping components, and are editing one of them, you cannot scribe to the line where they intersect. The inference engine will not find that intersection. I use this trick all the time, so I had to back off to version 7.0. It's really too bad, as 7.1 was a lot faster, and you'll notice the slowdown if you back down to 7.0. They promise to fix it in the next release.

You can get the old version here. Make sure you uninstall 7.1 first. CB.

I found that if you use the shift key to lock a reference to a line it will pick up the intersection with a plane. Seems to work fine in Xray or Solid view.
Posted By: Mark Davidson

Re: Bug in Sketchup 7.1 - 11/03/09 01:31 PM

Thanks CB for confirming that bug and helping me feel a bit less crazy, I also use the overlap to scribe stuff and now it is a lot slower.... must try throwing in the shift key to see what happens.

Re: Bug in Sketchup 7.1 - 11/03/09 02:05 PM

The shift key trick is not working for me, Mike. How are you doing it, exactly? CB.

Re: Bug in Sketchup 7.1 - 11/03/09 02:52 PM

Originally Posted By: daiku
The shift key trick is not working for me, Mike. How are you doing it, exactly? CB.

I create 2 components.

Overlap the components.

Works when editing a component or tracing over the intersection of 2 components.

1: Double click the component you wish to add tracings to.

2: Grab the pencil tool.

3: Find a point I would like to start tracing.

4: Hover over a line near that point, it will snap to the line.

5: Hold down the shift key, it will now lock you on the line.

6: Slide along until it 'intersects with plane'.

7. Click to draw first point.

8. Locate next 'intersection', find a line nearby, hover over line and press shift.

9. Repeat

YouTube was just uploaded... give it time to process...
Posted By: Raphael D. Swift

Re: Bug in Sketchup 7.1 - 11/03/09 05:19 PM

My old MAC LC isn't going to cut it when it comes to SketchUp laugh it does have a nice (greyscale) Raster Ops layout monitor so if it did I could design windmills and towers. MAC system 7.5 and Win98se (final beta) are about as far as I really went with the mainstream desktop OSes. Somewhere I have an OEM copy of win2k pro server that never got installed... smirk

I've been doing a little research and in general it looks like people are having better results w/SketchUp on a vmware virtual PC than under wine. Of course there are a few hurdles and pitfalls to get it loaded properly.

I've been B'day shopping at thinkmate for a new workstation, it's a truly dangerous occupation. First system I configured came in well over $5k wink Dual Quads Baby!!! laugh
Posted By: Chuck Gailey

Re: Bug in Sketchup 7.1 - 11/04/09 12:01 AM

I have had good success by hotkeying a shortcut for x-ray mode.

Move the curser to where you wish to inference and hit the hotkey.

You can still see where the line intersects the plane.

So far, the inference engine picks this point out and gives the intersection snap (little red X) pretty much every time.

Kind of lame it takes switching x-ray on and off, but, at least it is an acknowledged bug and well get addressed soon.

Cheers, Chuck

Re: Bug in Sketchup 7.1 - 11/20/09 03:01 PM

Google has released an update that fixes this problem. Just choose "help|check for update" from the main menu. CB.
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums