Timber Framers Guild

Mac OS X, TF Ruby scripts help

Posted By: M Leavitt

Mac OS X, TF Ruby scripts help - 07/07/10 08:54 PM

So I jumped ship on microsoft and bought a new mac powerbook. I'm running OS 10.6.4 and having trouble loading the TF Ruby Scripts. They show up in the plugins folder but will not run/open. The .exe file will not run either. I've tried reloading the files and rebooting to no avail. Anybody have any thoughts. I'm sure this has been addressed before so sorry if it is a repeat...
Posted By: daiku

Re: Mac OS X, TF Ruby scripts help - 07/07/10 09:07 PM

You say the .exe file will not run. Are you saying sketchup doesn't run? There's no .exe file with the TF Rubies. CB.

Re: Mac OS X, TF Ruby scripts help - 07/07/10 09:45 PM

Sorry, it's not an executable. Sketchup runs just fine and the ruby files run fine on my PC. I cant get the files to run/open on my Mac. Possibly a mac problem, file extension or user error. Personally I'd bet on user error but since that is me I lack the ability to figure out what I'm doing wrong. it may be the win32ole.so file. Mac version of Adobe cant open it and I'm assuming that is the executable/loader?

Re: Mac OS X, TF Ruby scripts help - 07/07/10 09:54 PM

Sorry if I'm slow with reply's. I have a new born, 3 year old and a wife with a broken foot... whew!

Re: Mac OS X, TF Ruby scripts help - 07/07/10 10:13 PM

The response from Adobe is..

Adobe Reader could not open 'win32ole.so' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded).
Posted By: bmike

Re: Mac OS X, TF Ruby scripts help - 07/08/10 11:33 AM

I believe that file is for controlling output to Excel... not sure why you are trying to open it with Adobe - (Acrobat,PhotoShop, InDesign, ???)

Pretty sure the Excel output from the Rubies does not work on Mac, you need to set the preferences in the Rubies to 'Text' for exporting a TF list.

Re: Mac OS X, TF Ruby scripts help - 07/08/10 11:59 AM

Thanks bmike. The file is an Adobe Reader doc and I tried to open it with Adobe Reader hoping it was an installer. I'll just keep digging :-(

Re: Mac OS X, TF Ruby scripts help - 07/08/10 12:34 PM

Originally Posted By: M Leavitt
Thanks bmike. The file is an Adobe Reader doc and I tried to open it with Adobe Reader hoping it was an installer. I'll just keep digging :-(

Be sure the files are not in nested folders within the Plugins folder...

Re: Mac OS X, TF Ruby scripts help - 07/08/10 12:43 PM

Everything looks correct. I can even open the files, with the exception of the win32ole, and read them. Only problem is nothing works. The TF plugins do not appear in the sketchup plugins option even tho I can find them manualy. Whatever it is seems like it should be simple??

Re: Mac OS X, TF Ruby scripts help - 07/08/10 01:13 PM

I do think that there are a few places that you can drop those whilst on a Mac. I know when teaching workshops we usually have all the Mac folks get together and install them all at once... something about where the software accesses those files.

Something like this:

Your Hard Drive Name/Library/Application Support/Google SketchUp 7/SketchUp/Plugins

Re: Mac OS X, TF Ruby scripts help - 07/08/10 01:30 PM

Woohoo... found it! It was simple. On a Mac there are multiple paths that lead to the same place... only different?

Thanks,
M
Posted By: daiku

Re: Mac OS X, TF Ruby scripts help - 07/08/10 01:49 PM

The win32ole.so file is for interfacing with excel, which you cannot do on a mac. So the file is both harmless and useless to mac users. CB.

Re: Mac OS X, TF Ruby scripts help - 07/08/10 02:11 PM

Thanks daiku. I really appreciate your hard work and software. Thanks for helping out all the TF'ers. Now all I need to do replace AutoCad with Vectorworks and I'll be golden. (Skip running dual OS).
Posted By: Bigshow

Re: Mac OS X, TF Ruby scripts help - 07/10/10 03:15 AM

Sounds like you figured it out...but remember, mac is running on a unix platform: FreeBSD.

In linux, your apps do not have access directly to the kernel - for a large variety of reasons: namely security and stability.

Some app settings not requiring escalated priveleges are stored at the User level Library, others in the System Library. Sketchup plugins are happiest in the System Libraries.
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums