Timber Framers Guild

changing pitch on an existing SU drawing?

Posted By: 51steve

changing pitch on an existing SU drawing? - 12/22/10 09:16 PM

Hello everyone,

I’ve just started to use the TF Rubies by Clark Bremer (thanks by the way) and I have a question before I proceed too far.

I have a pre-existing stone building that I am going to be building a new timber frame roof (the old timber frame roof was destroyed years ago before we purchased it). Question is, I am pretty certain of the roof pitch (I can’t verify the pitch, the building is overseas) however, say I draw the timber frame with Sketchup, and when I get to the property and the pitch of the drawings is off, can I modify the pitch in the drawings and have the timber frame members change with the new pitch (like majic ???) without causing extreme chaos? In a perfect world what I would hope to happen when I change the pitch is that the angles of the joinery and lengths of the members would change, but not fall into shambles, or am I asking too much?

Thanks for your time!
Posted By: daiku

Re: changing pitch on an existing SU drawing? - 12/22/10 09:22 PM

It would be tricky.

You could edit the rafter component, and then move the top joinery to teh new peak, but it would distort the main timebr body, and you'd lose that dimension.

Alternatively, if you simply rotated the rafter to match the new pitch, your joinery would be canted incorrectly.

So the short answer is: probably not.
Posted By: bmike

Re: changing pitch on an existing SU drawing? - 12/22/10 11:45 PM

Not going to happen in SketchUp, you'd need HSB or Dietrich's for that.
Posted By: 51steve

Re: changing pitch on an existing SU drawing? - 12/23/10 10:11 PM

Oh well! I'm better off asking now, than trying to change the pitch on site and having everything go funky. Thanks for the responses!

Steve
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums