Timber Framers Guild

Custom Peg Hole symbols for TF Rubies

Posted By: daiku

Custom Peg Hole symbols for TF Rubies - 04/16/12 01:39 PM

I started a new thread for this topic. Brad and Mike were asking for a new feature for the TF rubies, where the shape of the peg hole symbol would be used to indicate the diameter of the peg hole that should be drilled. Currently, there is just a construction point "cross hairs" placed on the mortise to indicate the center of the hole. I think I can add this, but I need some more information.

• I assume you guys are talking about the beg hole marks that appear on shop drawings, not the "pegettes" that appear on presentation drawings.
  • Do they need to appear on the tenons, or just the mortises?
  • How do you envision specifying the "peg type"? At what point in the workflow would you expect a dialog to come up to ask for the peg type?
Posted By: bmike

Re: Custom Peg Hole symbols for TF Rubies - 04/16/12 03:37 PM

Clark,

I think it would show on mortise and tenon (assuming a draw bore situation), and only in the 'Make Shop Drawing'.

The dialog would have to happen when you run the TF Peg / create peg command. Not sure how that would work - but I guess it gets tricky as one would have to somehow label joints in a catalog with peg sizes now...

And, to be honest - I've only really wished for this one or two times. Most times that I've used the Rubies for any sort of production type drawing the pegs were all 1" with the exception of a few... so it wasn't a big deal.

But, if I were doing more production work - I'd want to automate the calling out of the pegs.
Posted By: bmike

Re: Custom Peg Hole symbols for TF Rubies - 04/16/12 03:46 PM

You might be able to throw these on a separate layer... you could then toggle the shapes on and off pretty easily.
Posted By: Jon Senior

Re: Custom Peg Hole symbols for TF Rubies - 04/17/12 07:41 AM

I don't know enough about the way that the TF stuff is handled behind the scenes, but could you not add all the pegs and then select groups of them afterwards and specify their size. It strikes me that a dialog which pops up every time you use the peg tool would drive you rapidly insane if you never wanted to change peg size.
Posted By: daiku

Re: Custom Peg Hole symbols for TF Rubies - 04/17/12 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Jon Senior
I don't know enough about the way that the TF stuff is handled behind the scenes, but could you not add all the pegs and then select groups of them afterwards and specify their size. It strikes me that a dialog which pops up every time you use the peg tool would drive you rapidly insane if you never wanted to change peg size.

Well, that's exactly my concern. I don't want to add a step for every peg hole. Especially since (apparently like me), most folks are using the same peg size throughout.
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums