Timber Framers Guild

Print shop drawings from Sketchup.

Posted By: Jon Senior

Print shop drawings from Sketchup. - 04/19/12 07:47 PM

This may be user error. This may be a consequence of running SKetchup on Linux under WINE. But I can't get usable prints of my shop drawings. I'm carefully adding dimensions, but when I go to print, it's not printing in X-ray mode. This plays havoc with the dimensions, some of which appear as text with no dimension lines. I can hand draw back in the necessary bits if I have to but that's going to be a long process I feel.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I feel I'm missing a step somewhere.

Re: Print shop drawings from Sketchup. - 04/19/12 08:11 PM

Ah ha. The step appears to be WINE related. In order to print anything other than a black box, I have to check "use high accuracy HLR". This apparently disables textures and transparency. Looks like I'm stuck with keeping the computer in the nice dusty tent where I'm cutting the frame. I can add "cleaning out the heatsink" to the list of tasks to do once the house is built!
Posted By: sevenzenith

Re: Print shop drawings from Sketchup. - 04/24/12 01:16 PM

ohh thank
Posted By: daiku

Re: Print shop drawings from Sketchup. - 04/25/12 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Jon Senior
Looks like I'm stuck with keeping the computer in the nice dusty tent where I'm cutting the frame. I can add "cleaning out the heatsink" to the list of tasks to do once the house is built!

And thanks for THAT! My laptop has been unstable lately, and I'm about to take it to the Western Conference and use if for Sketchup training. I was about to go out and buy a new one, and scramble to get it ready when I read your post and thought "I wonder....". Popped a few panels off, blasted it with compressed air, viola! Running fine now.

Re: Print shop drawings from Sketchup. - 04/25/12 08:10 PM

Originally Posted By: daiku
Popped a few panels off, blasted it with compressed air, viola! Running fine now.

Yup. That's always a favourite. I've seen one Toshiba Satellite (and heard of a great many others) die due to a clogged heatsink. Compressing so much hardware into such a small space causes issues for heat build-up and laptops just don't have the tolerance for crud build-up that a desktop has. Thankfully I can print them via my GF's computer so although it's a bit of a faff, I can get paper copies. That's tomorrow evening's task as we're starting to scale up production and I need to be able to get measurements fast!
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums