Timber Framers Guild

Peg connector design values?

Posted By: Tim

Peg connector design values? - 01/15/03 07:11 PM

We are working on a 3 story, side by side combination steel, heavy timber building. All lateral loads will be taken by the steel structure and the heavy timber is to have the appearance of steel construction. We are trying to take shear loads of 6-12 kips at the connectons and can not find any quantitative resources on peg capacities. Does anyone know where we can find such a resource?
Posted By: Andy Roeper

Re: Peg connector design values? - 01/16/03 07:07 PM

There is a report investigating peg properties in the Members Only section of the Guild website.
Posted By: Tim

Re: Peg connector design values? - 01/16/03 07:54 PM

I already am using "Load Duration and Seasoning Effects on Mortise and Tenon Joints" and "Design Considerations for Mortise and Tenon Connections" by Dick Schmidt of the U of W. I was wondering if there was a more formalized or straightforward design reference, as there is in steel construction.
Posted By: Joe Miller

Re: Peg connector design values? - 01/19/03 05:24 PM

I'm a graduate student at the University of Wyoming, and we are starting to work on a design standard which incorporates the research done here. I'm not sure when it will be finished, but I wouldn't expect it in the all to near of future.

As far as shear capacity of pegs, it is fairly dependent on species of the peg, material being connected, and how tight the connections are. I know this is of little help, but hopefully soon enough there will be better help.
Posted By: Dick Schmidt

Re: Peg connector design values? - 01/20/03 04:20 PM

Tim: If you are designing your joinery for shear, then you can use the NDS directly. Rely on wood-on-wood bearing to carry your shear loads and you should be fine. Just design your joinery such that the bottom face of your girt is housed in the receiving post. Then you'll have the full depth of the girt working to carry the shear load. -- Dick
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums