Timber Framers Guild

Apprenticeship

Posted By: Cracker

Apprenticeship - 10/24/10 07:40 PM

HI, I am a carpenter of 5 years and have been interested in becoming a timber framer. I've talked to a few timber framers online, read some books, and just done general research about the trade. From what I've noticed is the way to get myself into the trade is to pay for an apprenticeship at one of the available schools. Is this really my only option, and if so what's the best way to go about it. I still need to make some money to live/pay bills. I'm eager to learn and looking for the next step. I appreciate any information anyone can pass my way. Thanks in advance,
Chris
Posted By: Will B

Re: Apprenticeship - 10/26/10 01:01 PM

Hi Chris,
Please consider joining the Guild as a first step, if you haven't already. The Guild has an apprenticeship program just starting up but we are currently only taking members working under an a Guild registered journeyworker. By joining the Guild you can stay up-to-date on the program, and be ready when we open it up to a larger pool. In the meantime, members get two free notices in the newsletter, Scantlings, and thus can put an "apprenticeship wanted"
notice and maybe get a someone to hire you.
If you don't know anyone to hire you, participating in Guild events is a good way to get known and build up some experience. Also, coursework at one of the schools is a good way to get some of that experience as well and you should consider it an investment. I run a summer program at Heartwood (www.heartwoodschool.com) that is intensive (we build a number of frames) and all four of our apprentices this year got jobs timber framing upon graduation.
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums