Timber Framers Guild

hybrid frames

Posted By: chris robinson

hybrid frames - 12/23/06 07:55 PM

if i built myself(yeah still in the dreaming stages)a timber frame house, but decide that i just want interior posts, ties, girts and a timber roof sytem, with stick frame/ICF exterior walls, can i still call myself a timber framer?
Posted By: Tom Cundiff

Re: hybrid frames - 12/24/06 01:52 PM

Hi Chris,
Yes, you can still be considered a timberframer if you build a hybrid frame. I consider timberframing to be a mind set, a way of life. You could live in a tent or even a log cabin and still be a timberframer. Tom
Posted By: John Buday

Re: hybrid frames - 12/24/06 08:30 PM

Chris

Yes of course you are. Remember that historically timber framing is what was once called carpentry and joinery was used not because of an aesthetic or philosophical bent (pun intended) but because of practicality. As such it was used where and how it best served a purpose. Certainly masonry walls and timber floor and roof framing were a common combination.
In addition to that I think that for timber framing to be a living craft, the relationship between craftsman and craft must be dynamic. The craftsman who uses historic technologies should understand not just how something was done but why and how well does this suit the problem or project at hand? If you see a different method or approach to building that incorporates timber framing do it.
This stuff is not or should not be dogma.
And........its you own damn house

Stepping off soapbox now ....next?

J.E.B.
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums