Timber Framers Guild

what type of deck

Posted By: michael salbego

what type of deck - 04/01/07 04:56 AM

I am getting ready to build a timber frame barn and I have heard some people say to just make a traditional deck with 2x6 floor joist, since it is not going to be seen don't waste time on fancy stuff you won't see. I was wondering if anyone could suggest what type of decking to go with and where I could see some pics of deck construction
Posted By: E.H.Carpentry

Re: what type of deck - 04/01/07 11:22 AM

Hello Michael,

and welcome to the TFG-discussion board.
What is the intended use of the barn? My personal preference for the barn floor would be concrete as it is durable and will not rot. Also you do not have to worry about driving a vehicle into the barn and wether the floor is strong enough and so on. Especially since, like you had mentioned, you will not be able to see the fancy (or not?) floor joist joinery.
I can see a lot of folks jumping out of their seat right now and wanting to argue that this is not traditional. But I think it just has to work and last. I always like the look of a concrete slab with a 24" stone wall and the frame on top of that.

Here is a question for you: What, if you do decide to go with a wood floor system, will it be resting on? Stone? Piers?

Posted By: RCBerry

Re: what type of deck - 04/01/07 01:21 PM

I do the traditional joist thing using rough sawn hemlock on lofts.

The main floor is either concrete slab or processed stone.

I helped out on a drive under barn once where the main floor was framed 12 inches oc, then topped with a t&g 2x floor and a 4 inch concrete slab on top of that.

Re: what type of deck - 04/01/07 02:53 PM

THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE
If I went with a wood floor the bottom beam plates would be seated on a perimiter foundation. Most of the barn will be a slab. My concern is for the last bent section, there is going to be a step up or two into the tack room. This is were I want to put some sort of floor system. Do you know of any good sites with pictures of the floor systems.

Re: what type of deck - 04/01/07 02:55 PM

do you have pictures of the traditional floor joist thing.

Re: what type of deck - 04/01/07 03:14 PM

The site is still under development but the gallery works pretty well....see the barn album. I have some pics in there.

http://shottalk.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_expose&Itemid=26

Re: what type of deck - 04/01/07 06:19 PM

great web site is that a cogged scarf joint on the beam in pic? Lools very clean.

Re: what type of deck - 04/01/07 06:30 PM

Yes.

Re: what type of deck - 04/01/07 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Derek J Swanger
I can ride a unicycle and juggle too. I can. Don't drop your tools. Derek

I'd like to see you doing that on a picture!!!!!!!!!!!

All tools will eventually give up if dropped no matter what type of floor. Also, ever tried to lay anything out on a "dirt" floor.

Re: what type of deck - 04/01/07 09:14 PM

Originally Posted By: RCBerry

I helped out on a drive under barn once where the main floor was framed 12 inches oc, then topped with a t&g 2x floor and a 4 inch concrete slab on top of that.

What is the need of the concrete on top of the wood floor system?
I could see doing this in a house to get control over noise transfer whether airborne or transmitted through the structure but in a barn. This adds a lot of extra weight thus dicreasing the capacity of the floor.

Re: what type of deck - 04/01/07 09:33 PM

Garage parking.
I came in towards the tail end of that job so I couldn't speak to the nuances of the floor other than to say it needed to hold up cars.

Re: what type of deck - 04/01/07 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: RCBerry
Garage parking.
I came in towards the tail end of that job so I couldn't speak to the nuances of the floor other than to say it needed to hold up cars.

There must have been a lot of post to hold up that floor!!! Seems like a concrete structure would have been better suited. Then a TF from the main floor up.

Re: what type of deck - 04/01/07 10:15 PM

Steel I-beams.
I don't remember seeing any posts at all but it was several years ago so I could be wrong.

The dive under part was all concrete and steel....the timber frame was above that.
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums