Timber Framers Guild

3 sided frames

Posted By: toivo

3 sided frames - 11/28/09 01:36 AM

has anyone seen a three sided frame? i'm thinking for an outdoor structure (a waxing windbreak). wondering how it would be possible to span the big open face of the triangle up top, spanning the 2 perpendicular beams with a third lain on top, and notched down, with big long screws through. any 3 sided frames out there?

Re: 3 sided frames - 11/28/09 01:40 AM

any curved roofs too? polycarbonate rocks my dome. i'm thinking if the 2 perpendicular beams are at different heights, bearing the rafters.
Posted By: TIMBEAL

Re: 3 sided frames - 11/28/09 01:55 AM

Do you mean a tetrahedron?

Tim

Re: 3 sided frames - 11/28/09 02:51 AM

haha! i don't have enough timbers for that! one reason for there being three sides is that's how many posts. and one nice curved pine beam, half out of the log.
Posted By: Waccabuc

Re: 3 sided frames - 11/28/09 03:34 AM

Sounds fun. Post some pictures when you can.
Steve
Posted By: Ken Hume

Re: 3 sided frames - 11/28/09 10:32 AM

Hi Toivo,

Check out :-
http://www.kfhume.freeserve.co.uk/pages/featureprojectspages/westonbirtpages/westonbirtframe.htm

- project gallery three - where you will see some pictures of a three sided thatched porch. Might give you some ideas.

Regards

ken Hume
Posted By: TIMBEAL

Re: 3 sided frames - 11/28/09 12:14 PM

A regular tetrahedron in gallery three.

Tim

Re: 3 sided frames - 11/30/09 02:35 AM

thanks for those. that's a snug looking frame.

tetrahedon sounds like a lot of sides...

i think there's going to be a turnbuckle connecting the long diagonal, and pulling against the rafters. the funny angles were making life look complicated. the idea of scribing down a beam across the tops of two beams at different heights only looks doable if they're rounded on the top, and these beams are square.

what would be even nicer is some spider web thread - organic and nearly invisible - to pull the corners together. any materials engineers out there? we love ya
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums