Timber Framers Guild

design concept for Pavilion

Posted By: Thane O'Dell

design concept for Pavilion - 02/09/11 12:31 AM

I am quoting a 24 x 40 Pavilion and would like to share it with the TFG members for some constructive criticism. I understand that not all will like the ridge beam concept but I have been partial to them.

Timbers are all E. W. Pine and will be 8X8,10, or 12 variants.
One particular area of interest is the Tie Beam to King Post Truss concept which I have never seen before.
At this point no joinery has been designed.
The floor's open...

Posted By: TIMBEAL

Re: design concept for Pavilion - 02/09/11 12:53 AM

A pretty design. What first comes to question is the king post truss. The size of the tie beam? All the members are present, curious if the king struts should be pushed more to the ends of the tie? Thrust from the rafters should not be a issue, but that is a lot of weight on the 4 tie beams, it is not transfered directly to the post, with that scrunched up truss.

Then there is the cantilevered top plates and the weight of the dormers. I used to think sheet metal would shed snow. I now have a valley in a roof on my own house, laded with snow, a lot of snow. It is heated and perhaps some of the cause due to snow sticking to the roof, ice is present. On a cold roof I am curious if the snow will shed in a valley? I had to remove some of the snow as we were up for some rain.

I don't really have any qualms with structural ridge beams, nor with common rafter with their thrust. Just different ways of dealing with stuff.

Re: design concept for Pavilion - 02/09/11 01:27 AM

Just a note. The end bays are 10 ft and the center bay is 20 ft.
The 6 ft struts used in the trusses are also used inverted as 6 ft braces under the center bay ridge beam.
Posted By: frwinks

Re: design concept for Pavilion - 02/09/11 03:19 PM

Originally Posted By: TIMBEAL
A pretty design.

On a cold roof I am curious if the snow will shed in a valley? I had to remove some of the snow as we were up for some rain.

that is a very neat design. Hope you get the contract so we can all see the finished frame wink

Tim, my cold roof, 10/12 valleys still collect a ton (or two) of snow. I, too thought the steel would shed snow well, especially that steep. Will have to figure out a way of waxing the roof once a year grin

Re: design concept for Pavilion - 02/09/11 04:10 PM

What do you think the potential snow load could be. At this point I don't know what is covering the roof. This snow in valley issue is good to know.
Posted By: daiku

Re: design concept for Pavilion - 02/10/11 02:16 PM

My students built this in January:

Similar idea on a smaller scale. I agree with Tim that the King Struts should end close to the end of the tie beams. And make sure they are stout enough - that's where the big load goes. CB.
Posted By: Paul Freeman

Re: design concept for Pavilion - 02/10/11 02:25 PM

Hopefully your frame will outlast its first roof. Prudence would have you design for a sticky roof, so will an engineer.

Re: design concept for Pavilion - 02/10/11 05:28 PM

What a beautiful frame. This design concept puts all joints in compression which is what I like to try and do.
I agree with moving the struts out to between the brace and the post. This will better direct forces.
Thanks

Re: design concept for Pavilion - 02/10/11 05:30 PM

You make a valid point Paul. Thanks
Posted By: tucker

Re: design concept for Pavilion - 02/16/11 01:13 AM

One particular area of interest is the Tie Beam to King Post Truss concept which I have never seen before.

I too am very interested by this idea, and was wondering if anyone has seen this before (span around 24') in a guild publication, book, internet, or even better, built something similar.
I nice frame indeed!
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums