Timber Framers Guild

half dovetail wedge design question

Posted By: Jim Rogers

half dovetail wedge design question - 05/27/16 01:14 PM

Recently I received my signed copy of Will Beemer's new book.
He shows a wedge holding in a half dovetail tie beam tenon to the post. He has cut the post to accept the wedge from the outside of the building to be covered over by the siding.

I was just wondering if it should be tapered the other was from the inside out to allow for future tapping to tighten up the joint after shrinkage.

I haven't used one of these in any of my frames and didn't know which would be best or why.

Can anyone give me any advice on this?

Thanks
Jim Rogers
Posted By: TIMBEAL

Re: half dovetail wedge design question - 05/28/16 02:09 AM

Hi Jim. What I like about the wedge from the outside is any force or direction of pull from the tie is directed to the inside of the building, post pulling or pushing away from the tie, I feel is more arrested with an external wedge. The slope is cut counter to the half dove tail on the tenon. When you wedge from the inside the slope of the wedge in going in the same angle as the dove tail. Any shrinkage will easily allow the wedge to loosen. I have pounded the crap out of them and then put a fastener in to the wedge, just to make me feel better.

I should get a copy of Will's book, read the review in TFing.
Posted By: Jim Rogers

Re: half dovetail wedge design question - 05/28/16 03:03 AM

Thanks Tim, I understand that reasoning now.

Jim Rogers
Posted By: Mark Davidson

Re: half dovetail wedge design question - 06/03/17 12:52 AM

I have a wedged mortise and tenon as one of my class projects. One time a student asked to cut the wedge "from the inside".
the join was cut and I was surprised how strong it was.
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums