Timber Framers Guild

what is a good way to span 32'?

Posted By: than2man

what is a good way to span 32'? - 03/21/17 04:57 PM

Hello. I am in the process of designing a timber frame shop with a house above. I am wanting the shop to have as much open space as possible with as little posts as possible. I would like to have a min. 32' clear span but am wondering how to do this. I know I need to consult an engineer which I will, but would like to see if anyone has any good ideas. Am I pretty much limited to truss floor joist or tji...?
Thank you for your time,

Nathanael
Posted By: Roger Nair

Re: what is a good way to span 32'? - 03/24/17 01:25 AM

A clear span roof system is very possible but a clear span supporting a house above is a difficult problem, with a number of paths forward but I will not offer any suggestions other than you need experienced design services both engineering and architecture. Good luck and take care.
Posted By: TIMBEAL

Re: what is a good way to span 32'? - 03/24/17 12:40 PM

Rethink the shop and at least allow a center post under the bents. Or have the engineering department design a King on the upper level. Wall incorporated into the roof truss. As Roger points to engineering and architecture.

What kind of shop that requires clear span? Keep house and shop on the ground floor? Keep it simple.
Posted By: RiverForest

Re: what is a good way to span 32'? - 05/16/18 05:58 AM

Think hard on combining residential and shop. Noise, odors, etc. My wife doesn't even want the shop near our home.

Re: what is a good way to span 32'? - 05/16/18 06:01 AM

Our new shop is currently planned to be 64x80, with a center support line of posts at 32 ft going end to end, with drainage in the center. Subject to design & PE changes! Our house will be about 200 ft away at least.

Re: what is a good way to span 32'? - 05/16/18 06:05 AM

A friend of ours is planning a complex TF building with their home in part of it, his landscaping shop area as well, and major event space in the majority of it.

Nuts in my opinion He just has not thought it through. And as with wineries and craft beer--watch out for saturation in the event space market, unless you can bear the cash loss to get a tax benefit, etc. Only the unique and strong will survive.
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums