Timber Framers Guild

ICF foundation

Posted By: Danny Waite

ICF foundation - 05/28/02 02:03 AM

I am new to this site so please bear with me. I did a search of this subject and found only a couple of posts. I am a general contractor in Washington State and will soon be building a timber frame/stick frame custom home. The owners and myself met with two of the architects working on the plans (for the last 8 months) trying to nail down some details. I am proposing the use of an ICF basement foundation under the timber frame section of the house. The architect is almost adamant against this concept because of his stated concerns for the connection details between the bottom of the timber posts and ICF wall. He feels that the 2 1/4 inches of foam panel at the outside of the form will entail a difficult hardware detail. Here in the Pacific NW we have some incredible engineering scenarios to deal with because of earthquakes and wind loading. Have any of the timber framers here had to deal with these issues in relation to ICF's. I need to be able to show this architect that it can work. I can be more specific with details if need be.
Thanks,
Danny Waite
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums