Timber Framers Guild

Lack of activity!!

Posted By: Jayson

Lack of activity!! - 12/02/08 01:54 AM

I know I'm not the only itinerant out there. Is everybody working? I've been slinging resumes for weeks. I have had a nibble or two and a couple confirmations for spring. Just wondering if the rest of you guys and gals are feeling the pinch? Lots of shops offering lower wages. I guess what I'm digging for here is a State of the Trade Address. I hear membership is down,attendence at conferences is down (though I have no confirmation from anyone that would be in a postion to know) through the grapevine. I'm just curious to why none of us (including myself) have had nothing to say for year.
Posted By: Joel McCarty

Re: Lack of activity!! - 12/02/08 02:36 PM

Membership is down.

Conference attendance is down.

Some timeberframe comanies in my area have experienced sizable lay-offs.

Any suggestions forum dwellers might have about keeping the TFG real and relevant in changing times would be welcome.

Posted By: Mark Davidson

Re: Lack of activity!! - 12/02/08 03:51 PM

Education. In my eyes the guild is doing a good job of education through rendezvous, workshops, conferences. I would love to be more a part of all that myself, for now I'm just so glad to see it happening. Keep up the good work and you will remain relevant.
Posted By: DKR

Re: Lack of activity!! - 12/02/08 04:07 PM

It's a perfect time, I think, for the Guild to impliment some cheap small events. For example, find a local host in some 4 state region to bring folks together for a weekend, and fly in one guild representative to tell the folks what he knows -- it's tough all over, there seems to be some work like this or that going on, etc, etc. The Guild it seems to me needs to be the glue to keep social, employment, and business networking going in these trying times. Kinda like a support group coordinator ...

Re: Lack of activity!! - 12/02/08 04:28 PM

How about a summer Rendezvous in Frankfort, KY?

Camping, camp kitchen. Lowest costs.

Re: Lack of activity!! - 12/02/08 07:56 PM

I think that's a dandy idea.
Posted By: mo

Re: Lack of activity!! - 12/03/08 12:17 AM

The ebb could give us time to prepare and realize a different flow.
Is Frankfort close to Ft. Knox? smile I second the camping as long as there is a good river nearby.

Its time people look up Ort . Ort, Oink, Oink.

Re: Lack of activity!! - 12/03/08 02:00 PM

I'd never heard of Frankfort until yesterday, and today in the news I see .....

FRANKFORT, Kentucky - A group of atheists filed a lawsuit Tuesday seeking to remove part of a state anti-terrorism law that requires Kentucky's Office of Homeland Security to acknowledge it can't keep the state safe without God's help.

American Atheists Inc. sued in state court over a 2002 law that stresses God's role in Kentucky's homeland security alongside the military, police agencies and health departments.

Of particular concern is a 2006 clause requiring the Office of Homeland Security to post a plaque that says the safety and security of the state "cannot be achieved apart from reliance upon almighty God" and to stress that fact through training and educational materials.

The plaque, posted at the Kentucky Emergency Operations Center in Frankfort, includes the Bible verse: "Except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain."

"It is one of the most egregiously and breathtakingly unconstitutional actions by a state legislature that I've ever seen," said Edwin F. Kagin, national legal director of Parsippany, New Jersey-based American Atheists Inc. The group claims the law violates both the state and U.S. constitutions.

Re: edit button works - 12/03/08 02:41 PM

You are welcome.

Now please use it to self-modulate!
Posted By: Tom Cundiff

Re: Lack of activity!! - 12/03/08 06:15 PM

This forum hasn't seen this much activity in ..... ever!
We need to locate a source for hollow logs for Rendezvous in Frankfort, KY.
The Stumpkin lurks!

Re: Lack of activity!! - 12/03/08 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Joel McCarty
How about a summer Rendezvous in Frankfort, KY?

Camping, camp kitchen. Lowest costs.

or you can all come to Grafton, camp in the holler, showers at state park camp ground, good food cheap at the Do Drop.

Re: Lack of activity!! - 12/04/08 12:50 AM

Hey Stumpkin!

You guys say where, I'll be there. I'm very low tech down here in GA, but I would love to do some community projects. I hear we need more jails?(hahaha) I couldn't resist that one. All kidding aside, I would like to join in any effort to promote our trade as well as success in the trade. If that involves tents in my front yard for the weekend, so be it. Tom, miss you man, see you soon. Hey Tom don't you need a stable or something there in Grafton?

Re: Lack of activity!! - 12/04/08 12:54 AM

Holy smoke djswan, you crack me up.

Re: Lack of activity!! - 12/04/08 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Jayson

Hey Tom don't you need a stable or something there in Grafton?

Hey Jayson, I finished cutting the frame last week. I'm waiting for a break in the weather to raise, it's snowing here right now. I will get in trouble from the wife and daughter if I trash the pasture by driving the tractor around right now.
Posted By: Ray Gibbs

Re: Lack of activity!! - 12/05/08 12:34 AM

Hey Joel Lynn said we could go to Kentucky so long as there was singing by a camp fire.
Posted By: Gabel

Re: Lack of activity!! - 12/05/08 04:35 AM

Ray,

I can guarantee it.
Posted By: Ray Gibbs

Re: Lack of activity!! - 12/05/08 03:52 PM

I'll pass that on. Whit has to bring his bass also
Posted By: Whit Holder

Re: Lack of activity!! - 01/22/09 01:48 AM

I'll bring it. And maybe a stumpkin log if I can find one.
In the meantime, here's a look back at last year's Rendezvous...
Posted By: Raphael D. Swift

Re: Lack of activity!! - 02/04/09 09:58 PM

Originally Posted By: djswan
yessiree bob! er, ah, god!

Any acolyte of the church of the sub-genius could tell you those two names are roughly synonymous.

Any chance of the Rendezvous in Frankfort, KY comming to fruition? When would it happen?
Posted By: Gabel

Re: Lack of activity!! - 02/05/09 02:06 AM

According to Scantlings, the week leading up to the 4th of July is the date of the KY rendezvous.

Re: Lack of activity!! - 02/06/09 03:12 AM

Yup, that's what I see, a horizontal scroll bar in the quote box.

Re: Lack of activity!! - 02/06/09 03:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Gabel
According to Scantlings, the week leading up to the 4th of July is the date of the KY rendezvous.

Guess I'm a bit behind on my reading...
Semi-fortuitous timing there, SWMBO just scheduled the week either side of the fourth off and the only day I'm scheduled is the morning of the fourth... Now all I've got to do is convince her that siding is overrated. ;-)
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums