Timber Framers Guild

2014: What would YOU like at the next Conference?

Posted By: Will B

2014: What would YOU like at the next Conference? - 02/25/14 07:52 PM

The Guild's next major Conference will be August 6–10, 2014 at Southern New Hampshire University in Manchester NH.

I'm looking for ideas for presenters, demonstrations, special events, contests for the Timber Olympics, and any other cool things to add to the program.

Please help us make this a great event! Post your ideas here.

For those wishing to make an "official" presentation proposal, you can download the Conference Proposal Form here.
Posted By: Gabel

Re: 2014: What would YOU like at the next Conference? - 02/26/14 08:06 PM

How about timber cart slalom or timber cart half-pipe.

Or more seriously:

The safe and effective use of chainsaws for production and custom timber framing.

Planning and running a safe community hand raising (info on insurance would be great too)

Shoring and jacking for restoration and repair 101
Posted By: TIMBEAL

Re: 2014: What would YOU like at the next Conference? - 02/26/14 10:25 PM

A peg making station. Have a few shaving horses and knives. everyone makes some pegs. Use them on a guild project.

Re: 2014: What would YOU like at the next Conference? - 02/27/14 06:31 PM

Originally Posted By: TIMBEAL
A peg making station. Have a few shaving horses and knives. everyone makes some pegs. Use them on a guild project.

I like it -- seems like a lot of people want to DO something at the conferences.
Posted By: Will Truax

Re: 2014: What would YOU like at the next Conference? - 03/01/14 03:15 PM

I like it also...

And all three of the thoughts Gabel floated!

Re: 2014: What would YOU like at the next Conference? - 03/03/14 06:27 PM

Will T - you could teach the shoring/jacking 101 couldn't you?
Posted By: Will_T

Re: 2014: What would YOU like at the next Conference? - 03/04/14 12:12 AM

Anything is possible Gabel, there may even be a nearby project (though I live to the north now I came up just down river, even attended high school in the city) that could serve as a real world / situation venue, I'll make a phone call to determine that.

And will discuss potentials with Will at a preservation event I know I'll be seeing him at in just a few.

The current project well to the north > http://twitpic.com/dx7ao5
Posted By: Will B

Re: 2014: What would YOU like at the next Conference? - 03/04/14 01:05 PM

Sounds good Will.
We'll talk at the Expo.
If anyone wants the info: New Hampshire Preservation Alliance Old House and Barn Expo in Manchester NH March 15–16.
http://www.nhpreservation.org/news-a-events/signature-events/old-house-and-barn-expo.html

Re: 2014: What would YOU like at the next Conference? - 05/05/14 10:29 AM

I was just going through the latest Scantlings issue..... I am torn, I can not make the conference due to harvest time, blueberries. I am wondering if video of some of the lectures can be recorded and posted to social media like U-tube? It seems like a good opportunity to also promote the Guild, as well. Specifically David's lecture. I also see Don Perkins Maine Barns, Jim Rogers, Model Building, Sobon and others.
Posted By: Jim Rogers

Re: 2014: What would YOU like at the next Conference? - 05/05/14 01:34 PM

You can get my ebook on model building now if you want it. I may do it as a video as well in the future when I have time and the software needed to edit it.

Jim Rogers
Posted By: D L Bahler

Re: 2014: What would YOU like at the next Conference? - 05/05/14 06:34 PM

Tim I am very sad to hear you can't make it. You are one of the people I was really hoping to catch up with.

Re: 2014: What would YOU like at the next Conference? - 05/06/14 12:00 PM

I think I have a copy, Jim. Our paths will cross some day, DL.

There are a few participating member of the forum and Guild that do videos, perhaps a tripod and plugged in camera for those attending.
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums