Timber Framers Guild

Concrete Barn Foundation?

Posted By: topshelf

Concrete Barn Foundation? - 01/06/06 01:03 AM

I am in the process of restoring an old Dutch style barn. The barn is framed with 8"x8" posts and timbers. The original sill was 8"x8" as well. I have the outside walls raised on cribbing and want to pour a foundation under it. I have already poured a good 8"x 24" footing on hardpan soil. What I am trying to determine is whether I should just pour standard 8" walls and have a 2"x8" mud sill or should I have 8" walls with 12" boxed concrete sections for the posts?

I have seen it different ways in different photos but it seems that the pillar style foundation would be stronger.

Any other comments and suggestions appreciated.
Posted By: Emmett C Greenleaf

Re: Concrete Barn Foundation? - 01/06/06 08:18 PM

To preserve the old look you may want to consider facing the modern foundation with whatever old rock is laying around. leave the pointing btwn the pieces pretty deep and the look approaches an old rubblestone foundation.
good luck

Re: Concrete Barn Foundation? - 01/07/06 12:38 AM

What are your thoughts on my original question of whether to have the foundation wall be just 8" wide versus have the foundation jet out on the inside of the wall 4"(12" long) to have a larger pier where the posts will land? Like I said before I have seen it in pictures both ways. I have also debated about replacing the 8x8 sill as original. But at the same time with the wall protruding from the ground 1.5 feet it is more less acting as the 8x8 sill. I think I will add a 2x8 mud sill at a minimum.
Posted By: Scott McClure

Re: Concrete Barn Foundation? - 01/07/06 06:13 AM

Unless you have an unusual point load at one of the posts, as long as they bear more or less directly over your 8" stem wall you'll be fine.
Posted By: Scott McClure

Re: Concrete Barn Foundation? - 01/07/06 06:15 AM

Unless you have an unusual point load at one of the posts, as long as they bear more or less directly over your 8" stem wall you'll be fine. You may want to consider some sort of holdowns for seismic or wind loading.
Posted By: milton

Re: Concrete Barn Foundation? - 01/09/06 12:03 PM

Foundation design and specification need engineering review and code consideration.

A Dutch (style) Barn in WA? Do you know the history of this structure?

Curtis
Posted By: John Buday

Re: Concrete Barn Foundation? - 01/09/06 04:06 PM

Are you restoring it as a barn or converting to a residence?

Re: Concrete Barn Foundation? - 01/11/06 02:04 AM

I am restoring the barn to as much original as possible. The foundation will meet local codes either way I build it. I just thought that the pilar style would provide more strength even though I would not technically need it. It also would allow me to secure the posts will huricane straps in the concrete. They recommend 3" of clearance from the wall edge.

As far as the "Dutch" style barn goes I am not 100% sure. The barn is 52 x 40 and has rows of queen posts. Even though these barns seemed to be common in New England in a much earlier time this barn seems to have the same design but was probably built in the early 1900's. I live near Lynden WA which is a Dutch community so I assumed that maybe it was. If I am wrong or if there is a way to clearly identify please let me know.
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums