Timber Framers Guild

CONVERTING AN OLD BARN

Posted By: AARON M

CONVERTING AN OLD BARN - 01/17/06 01:14 AM

HELLO,

I HAVE BEEN DOING RESEARCH ON TIMBERFRAMING ETC, FOR ABOUT A YEAR NOW. I PLAN ON CONSTRUCTING A HOME WITHIN THE NEXT YEAR TO YEAR AND A HALF. THE PLAN WAS TO HAVE A NEW FRAME CUT AND ERECTED. MY THOUGHTS CHANGED RECENTLY WHEN I FOUND OUT THAT A LOCAL INDIVIDUAL WAS INTERESTED IN SELLING AN EXISTING BARN FRAME. I PLAN ON ACTING AS THE GENERAL FOR THE PROJECT NO MATTER IF I USE AN EXISTING FRAME OR A NEW ONE. I AM A HVAC/PLUMBING CONTRACTOR BY TRADE BUT I WOULD TURN OVER ALL DUTIES INVOLVING THE FRAME AND SIPS TO THE EXPERTS. BASICALLY I AM INTERESTED IN FINDING A FRAMER/ CONSULTANT TO HELP WITH RESTORING AND RELOCATING THE FRAME. I AM NOT SURE WHERE TO BEGIN THIS PROCESS OR EVEN IF THE FRAME CAN BE USED. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. I AM LOCATED IN THE ERIE, PENNSYLVANIA AREA AND I AM NOT AWARE OF ANY LOCAL INDIVIDUALS THAT HANDLE SUCH TASKS. IF ANYONE COULD POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION I WOULD APPRECIATE IT. THANK YOU.
Posted By: Randy Churchill

Re: CONVERTING AN OLD BARN - 01/20/06 11:25 PM

Good for you, hope you can follow through with the plan. Need a survey of old barn - might be great, might be a nightmare. Might save you money (rare) or it might cost you more than "new" frame. You have LOTS of options. First step - find a timber framer (from TFG directory) in your area and pay them $100 to take a look, covers fuel and is polite for the 1-4 hours they will be giving you. See if Leon Buckwalter can pay a visit, or Rudy Christian - I know there are closer folks but don't have any names at hand.

A few TF shops specialize in working with old stuff. Some fix it as it is, others take timbers and cut a new frame out of it. If it has to come down and be moved that requires some special skills. Don't worry about trucking the frame a ways, the few grand of trucking is small part of your cost.

Lots of us can help in one way or another. You need a survey first.
Posted By: AARON M

Re: CONVERTING AN OLD BARN - 01/23/06 11:14 PM

Thank you for the reply and for the helpful information. I have gotten a couple other replies directly on e-mail so I am starting to put a good base together. As far as finding someone to complete the survey I do have a couple of names already and that is the second time that Rudy Christian has been recommended to me. I wouldn't have to worry so much about the transportation cost since the current barn site is less than two miles from where I plan to build. I do realize there are more obstacles to overcome than distance though. I have also located two crews in the area that have experience with relocating a barn. I was fortunate enough to see the finished product on a project that was finished a little over a year ago. The building was not converted into a residence but the guys that handled it came highly recommended. I am not sure if this is the type of project that can use a couple of different groups to get the job done or if it should be streamlined from start to finish with a specific individual or company. Also who do you talk to that can verify the structural integrity of the building to satisfy code officials. Our company has a good relationship with the local code official but I have not contacted him yet to see what he needs to approve the structure. Again thank you for your reply and your time.
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums