Timber Framers Guild

The cantilever barn at Cades Cove Tennesee

Posted By: Jayson

The cantilever barn at Cades Cove Tennesee - 12/02/08 11:30 PM

My mother has asked for a cantilever barn birdhouse. I would like to make a scale model if I can easily get the dimensions. Has anyone done a survey that they would be willing to share? Any help appreciated. I did find a book (East Tennesee Cantilever Barns) that appears to have the info, but finding a copy is another story. There is also a collection of materials collected by a Tennesee professor that is the author of that book that certainly will contain a survey. Just thought I would try here until the library there opens tomorrow. Thank Jayson

Posted By: mo

Re: The cantilever barn at Cades Cove Tennesee - 12/03/08 12:40 AM

Hi Jayson. Didn't know they even existed. Looked them up through the Library of Congress/ HABS. Great Resource. cantilever barn

Re: The cantilever barn at Cades Cove Tennesee - 12/03/08 03:44 AM

Can't get the link mo.
Posted By: mo

Re: The cantilever barn at Cades Cove Tennesee - 12/05/08 11:11 PM

try this one. barn . if that doesn't work you can search library of congress, habs. then type cantilever barn in their search menu.
Posted By: Don P

Re: The cantilever barn at Cades Cove Tennesee - 12/06/08 01:17 AM

I'm guessing its probably the cantilever barns in Cades Cove she's talking about;
http://www.classicbarns.net/cantilever_barns.html

There was a link in googling I'm assuming youre talking about to the library at UTK.

Re: The cantilever barn at Cades Cove Tennesee - 12/07/08 04:27 AM

Yes. UTK, but I have yet to call. I did get the link. Thanks mo. I have decided I just do not have the time for a scale replica before Christmas. I will be winging it with some measurements I scaled from photos. A few years ago I took several pics with my wife in the photo (i know how tall she is). Even had a few with her hands on the timbers for perspective. I will keep you posted on progress. I was very fortunate to spend lots of time in the buildings in that area. We (parents and I) spent all of our vacations there for over a decade. I never realized they were so unique. Are there examples of these buildings in other countries? What period? Did you guys notice the tapered cantilever beams? thanks again
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums